Cat-Con Failure?

While riding a little bit this past weekend, my exhaust temp buzzer started yelling at me. And because I was riding back to the dock alone (I know, not a smart idea, but there were plenty of people on the lake around me), I started to get a little bit panicky as to why the buzzer was screaming.

So I pulled toward shore, dropped anchor, and took the seat off to let some air get in the hull. Waited 15 minutes, then I was on my way. I repeated this process a few times (ride awhile, overheat, pull to shore and let it cool off) until I finally made it home safely, but then didn't ride the rest of the day.

Now, my ski is at about 54 hours. Soooooo, I figure that the cat-con has finally gone kaput. I brought the ski home with me so I had some actual tools to use, and I plan on tearing the exhaust apart and seeing the cat-con, and replacing it.

I also wondered if the cooling water intake maybe got clogged somehow?

Any comments or suggestions?

+1
    One of the other symptoms of loosing a cat con is that you cannot get to top speed and a serious loss of rpms. This is due to your exhaust getting plugged with cat con pieces.

What I am saying is that your temperature alarm is not the definitive symptom of loosing a cat con. I would suggest that you replace your cat con with a "D" plate at any rate. You will run cooler never have to worry about that kind of failier. If you choose to go back to a cat con, then do not buy a new one. There are plenty out there for cheap. Some guys may even give you one. They are extreemly expensive new.

Also, if you do find that your cat con is broken into pieces, then you should also check your water box, as parts sometimes get stuck there.

Hope this is the problem, cause it is an easy fix. You may find out other wise.

+1
    It sounds like the cat con.
    take it out, replace with a d-plate and a cat sensor chip.-More reliable and cheaper.
    If you plan any future mods-flame arrestors, etc you need to get rid of the cat con anyway.
    I would also take the water box out,or inspect with a mirror/torch to make sure no bits have entered it.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    One of the other symptoms of loosing a cat con is that you cannot get to top speed and a serious loss of rpms. This is due to your exhaust getting plugged with cat con pieces.
    This makes me think that it may not necessarily be the cat-con... I ran it pretty hard the following morning and even though I didn't have my GPS with me at the time, the dream-o-meter still registered as going 61MPH.

Besides that and the cooling inlet for blockage, are there any other things I should check?

Okay, after taking the pipe off, the cat-con DEFINATELY failed. The catalytic material completely had come loose and is stuck a bit further down in the pipe.

I don't have a d-plate, but I do have access to a waterjet steel cutting machine, so I technically can get a d-plate cut pretty easily made of 1/8" thick stainless.

Thread Information