Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Metal RIVA Washers Life expectancy

Now I had a few questions about the metal RIVA washers, mainly pertaining to life expectancy. First off RIVA has pretty much come out and said they should be replaced yearly, here is a link to those interested:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/archive/index.php/t-76836.html

Here is a cut/paste of their relevant post:

RIVA CREW
    09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
    From what we've seen failures are typically found in modified craft. It can happen right away or hours and hours later. To combat this we've developed a metal washer that has a special treatment process to strengthen them futher and a special coating process that increases their wear rate. You can expect that they will last an entire season unless you are racing closed course on a regular basis. Then I would suggest replacing them half way through your racing season.

From what we know BRP has improved the OE design for `07 so that it will accomodate normal riding (time and conditions). However, if you're the type to ride regularly and ride hard our Heavy-duty Clutch Wahsers (http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...utch%20Washers) are a worth installing. They will provide you piece of mind! http://rivaforums.com/groupee_common.../icon_wink.gif

Now, I know ceramic is a harder material (and more brittle too) than steel and the OEM clutches should be expected from a wear standpoint to last longer, my real question is how much longer? I'm sure RIVA is talking about really hard riding and modified craft when they say 1/2 - 1 season/year of life from the bearings. The question is, does anyone have any real-world life expectancy of their steel washers? We know they will not break apart, but they will start slipping, the question is when, do these things need to be replaced/shimmed every year? For a hard recreational (no racing) rider on a stock machine, how long should the steel washers be expected to last? My main concerns with the steel washers are do they create a maintence (shimming, frequent spring washer replacement, etc) issue that is worse than the OE ceramics (provided they dont break up)?

+1
    By the date and article those appear to be the older coated washers they had not the ones they are currently selling. Not sure if it makes any difference on the life of the washer.

Well, they are making reference to 2007 model year crafts, and is there a confimed redesign of their washer that took place in the last 9 months?

+1
    For sure different. They are not Titanium coated any longer!! For Sure!

+1
    The pictures in your link of the ones on the charger are the old ones and the bigger ones are the new ones.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Most knowledgable people are recommending a complete sc rebuild every 100 hours for modded boats. People who just do a lot of cruising probably could go 200 hours.

+1
    The pressure plates are wearing before the washer.

Metal Riva Washers

I have installed Riva stage III plus few extra mods on my 06 RXP and i have noticed loss of 500RPM's after 35 hours. The ski is always ridden in the sea, mostly in rough conditions and in racing as well. i believe that has to do with the metal washers. i will replace them on saturday and i will let you know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpstan View Post
    The pressure plates are wearing before the washer.
    Pressure plates? Which part is that?

It does seem that I have to shim way too often (10-15 hrs) to maintain good boost, even with new spring washers and metal clutch washers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Pressure plates? Which part is that?

It does seem that I have to shim way too often (10-15 hrs) to maintain good boost, even with new spring washers and metal clutch washers ...
    I think he means spring washers.
    If replacing the spring washers and shimming is not getting it done. It is time for new clutch washers. I think that is all there is to it.
    A S3 running at 8600 rpm's in rough water will obviously not last as long as a S1 in calm conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information