Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To Replace or Not to Replace Exhaust Gasket

I'm installing those Wave Eater clips on the power valves on my XL 800 today. I need to remove my exhaust manifold for one of them. Question: Can I reuse the exhaust gasket if it isn't torn or messed up, or does it really have to be relaced per service manual no matter what?

+1
    As long as it's in good shape, you're fine. I've reused mine a few times.

+1
    I've used mine a few times also. just amke sure all the surfaces are clean.

+1
    the new ones i fitted to deans POS were metal which i though were a better idea and easyer to clean and use again

Hi Paul. Check your PM's. Dave.

the teflon coated metal gaskets SHOULD only be used ONCE.

When they are torqued down the compression seals become compressed.

If you re-use that gasket the compression seals will not seal as well as a new gasket....hence why Riva tells you to use copper spray if you re-use a gasket.

I have seen leaks re-using gaskets on modded boats....after seeing the leaks and having to hone and re-reing because of it I choose ONLY to use new gaskets with each re-build.

JMHO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HopatcongGPR View Post
    the teflon coated metal gaskets SHOULD only be used ONCE.

When they are torqued down the compression seals become compressed.

If you re-use that gasket the compression seals will not seal as well as a new gasket....hence why Riva tells you to use copper spray if you re-use a gasket.

I have seen leaks re-using gaskets on modded boats....after seeing the leaks and having to hone and re-reing because of it I choose ONLY to use new gaskets with each re-build.

JMHO.
    i agree 100% i was not surgesting using any gasket twice just if you have too the metal stand a better chance of going again..
    i cant get my hands on the POS again to get a second wack on any gaskets of his..

Well, we'll see what happens, I reused the gasket. The exhaust manifold came off clean with the gasket stuck on the cylinder. When replacing I used a thin film of gasket sealant as added insurance after making sure the gasket was clean and smooth, red locktite on the bolts and everything went back together as planned. Now I have the Wave Eater clips installed and the coupler too.

Next time I take the exhaust off, I will have to replace the gasket after using that selant!!

New reverse and trim cables are next. Where is the best place to buy these?? Are there any tricks to keeping them from rusting out so fast? Like forcing grease down the cables before installtion and some type of boots to cover the out board ends??

Also the fuel sending unit showing 1/2 tank when I can see that it is full, bench testing that today.

Second water test coming up this weekend.

on a stocker or slightly better you will more then likely be fine....when im dealing with a 5k motor i tend to be anal...especially when i have seen the gaskets leak...more then once.

a leak on the exhaust manifold gasket...even very small can be difficult to detect until compression starts to drop along with an rpm loss. what typically happens is people start seeing an rpm loss and start hunting for the loss everywhere but a leaky gasket....they wind up re-building, with new gaskets, when they find the comp. loss....get their rpms back and never catch the leaky gasket.

just keep it mind now...thats all.

Thanks for that info. I figured with the damage in my rear cylinder from the oil line coming off resulting in 15 to 20 psi difference, I will most likely be doing a rebuild in a few anyway so, I just figured to use to old gasket and see how it runs and schedule a rebuild after a while.

So the rpm and power loss is from the exhuast crossing over from the dry exhuast into the wet chambers..that leak? An outside leak would be noticable right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information