Thread: Bearing Housing

Bearing Housing

Am I being stupid (careful now!)? I've just installed the new bearing, inter shaft and seals into the rear bearing housing of the XL1200Ltd, and the grease input from the lube hose injects the grease in between the 2 rear seals. How does the bearing receive any lube? Surely the seals will act to stop water AND grease from reaching the bearing! All the grease does (as far as I can see) is to lubricate the seal lips where they contact the inter shaft! I've packed the bearing with grease before installing the seals, but is that it, or does the grease get into the bearing some ways I haven't spotted? I've read the manual, and the parts list, and it still seems wrong to me! Anybody help?

+1
    The grease is not supposed to get into the bearing. The only purpose of the grease is to be a barrier between the water and bearing. A sealed bearing would run for MANY MANY hours in that housing without lube if it wasnt for a little water intrusion.

Thank's for that! When you say a SEALED bearing, I asked on this site a couple of weeks ago about the original bearing being a sealed type when I took it out, and was told not to put a sealed one in! I've put a standard bearing in with plenty of grease, will this be OK? Sorry to be a pain!

+1
    Well, I was the one that posted that it should be open, but thought you were talking about the pump bearings. You refered to it as the "rear housing" which to me is the pump, not the intermediate shaft. Its no biggie, I actually have an open bearing in my intermediate shaft too, but dont tell anybody.

You're right! It was you! Looking at it again, water in the engine bay would have to be pretty deep to even touch the front seal, let alone enter it (even if it was worn), and the rear 2 seals are tight up to the bulkhead, so I don't see any real problem! I don't mind doing the job again, but I had to wait 2 weeks for the seals to come, and I don't want to rip 'em out and have to order more! I'm sure it'll be fine, especially as you've 'field tested' open bearings! Thank's for the advice. DaveW

+1
    dave have the seals got numbers stamped on them,not in work due to week off to test ski dont laugh(weather) ,but can ring in and see if i can get hold of a few a bit faster than the two week wait...

Thread Information