Can anyone Identify this wire

Have an XPL2000 with oil tank removed...
    can anyone help identify this wire...In the hull the throttle wire splits into 2 one for the throttle the other goes to the front of the engine ... I guess this is for the oil injection ???? does this cable pull some mechanism when it is on full throttle to let more oil????

HT

+1
    Yes, that's exactly right. The oil pump has a little arm on it and when the throttle is applied it also pulls on that (oil injection pump) arm as well, allowing more oil flow.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Yes, that's exactly right. The oil pump has a little arm on it and when the throttle is applied it also pulls on that (oil injection pump) arm as well, allowing more oil flow.

And...that little spring behind the arm-don't take that thing off...a true pain to get back on. Spring is what gives tension to the throttle cable so you don't have wo throttle all the time. Should be a mark on the arm that aligns with a mark on the pump housing to let you know its "lined" up properly.

+1
    the spring on the oil pump does not give tension on the throttle cable. the carbs are what put the tension on the throttle cable. the spring on the oil pump keeps tension on the oil pump cable. if it breaks, the oil pump defaults to max flow.

Banned User
    +1
    and make sure that spring doesn't RUST and break, my old GSXL broke and it either over rotated or something, and no oil got in the motor....BAMM went the PTO bearing on the connecting rod!

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    the spring on the oil pump does not give tension on the throttle cable. the carbs are what put the tension on the throttle cable. the spring on the oil pump keeps tension on the oil pump cable. if it breaks, the oil pump defaults to max flow.

Sorry, I was getting my info off my old Spi and its spring on the oil rig that does pull the throttle cable back.

thanks for all your response...have been having issue with knocking sound... most of my mates reckons pinging noise... have done everything from timing to carbs... while cleaning the ski I notice this wire bit with the metal lug hanging from the front engine...touch wood this has been the cause of the sound...

Thread Information