Oil Temp and SC Air Temp High ???

I have been having an oil problem with my ski and it is now at my local dealer - they were able to read via their software that the oil temp and the sc air temp went high on 3 different times - all three times the rpm was 6800 or higher - which the ski indicated on the dash each time it happened and the rpm was reduced on the ski for about 10 or 15 minutes allowing the temp to go down. The dealer can't seem to find a problem after working with the manufacturer on the phone. The only modifications to the ski are Riva Preformance Filter and Riva Free Flow Exhaust. The three times it happened were all the same day and I took it to the place it was bought that same afternoon. I am not a ski mechanic nor do I know much about the ski - have had 2 strokes in the past. Ski has been great up to this point.

I would think that if something is overheating the cause would be somewhere in the cooling system - the dealer said they have checked the intercooler and the oil tempreature sensor and those were fine, he also checked a few other tihings but did not say what. He said he would continue to work on it.

Does anyone here have an idea as to what could be going on and or causing the tempreature issues, is there anything I should ask them to check?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

+1
    G, welcome.

It sounds like a restriction in the cooling water lines before it Ts off to the ICooler.

Q: Who installed the Riva goodies? I would hate to see Kawi weasle out of fixing it do to the mods.

The mods were done by me and a friend 10 or 12 hours before this problem started.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    G, welcome.

It sounds like a restriction in the cooling water lines before it Ts off to the ICooler.

Q: Who installed the Riva goodies? I would hate to see Kawi weasle out of fixing it do to the mods.
    Myself and a friend who works on his skis and did all his mods - The mods that we did appeared very simple and went in very easily per the instructions. The mods were in place for 10 to 12 hours before this issue started. Would the restriction be due to trash or something in the water lines? The mechanic that is working on it said he was running it with the flush hooked up and could not get the temp to go up. Is it possible that the restriction allows enough water to pass while it is idling but does not allow enough at the higher rpms? This is all food for thought that I will pass on to the mechanic in the morning. Any other ideas or possibilities?

Thanks for the welcome - I have heard alot about this site, so I thought I would give it a try. Any ideas you guys have to offer I really appreciate.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a clogged intercooler to me. Do you ride around vegatation or close to the bank ? The best way to check it is to pull it out and tahe atleast one of the sides off, the gaskets are pretty cheap.And if its clogged, before you reinstall add a groco water strainer for the 4-Tec Online store.

Ok..been through all the obivious...can anyone Help?

Ok, I am not going to start complaining about problems that other 250's are having because I am happy with mine so far. I would just like to solve this problem with my ski.

The mechanic has checked all the cooling system hoses and has blown air through the cooling system and says it goes through fine. He has also been able to get the problem to happen while he was lake riding it. Oil Temp and SC Temp go HIGH after about 20 minutes of riding if riding above 6800 rpm. It seems logical that there is a restriction in the cooling system but where? Is blowing air through it going to find the problem? I would say yes if the problem was a blockage however if there is a restriction that does not allow enough cooling while at higher rpms, how can that be found? I have spent a great deal of time searching the web for similar issues and all that I have found, point to cooling system restriction as you guys told me. I have also found that it could be narrowed down to the restriction being near the exhaust, possibly one of the exhaust ports being partially blocked. Does that sound likely? If anyone has any ideas of where to look, please pass them along and I will get them to the mechanic at the dealer to try. The mechanic is ready to give up. I would really like to ride again soon, my ski has been in the shop for a few weeks now. Please help if you can.

+1
    What is the temp of the primary waterbox? Has this line been checked.

Is it close to the sensors going high?

Are the temp connectors going to the same plug in connections at the ecu?

Have they tried a different ecu?

Maybe the waterbox is radiating heat to the other components.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    What is the temp of the primary waterbox? Has this line been checked.

Is it close to the sensors going high?

Are the temp connectors going to the same plug in connections at the ecu?

Have they tried a different ecu?

Maybe the waterbox is radiating heat to the other components.
    Hello J,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure of the waterbox temp as my ski is at the dealer. The mechanic told me their software shows that the oil temp and the sc air temp both go high around the same time, I am not sure of what the temp is however he did info me that it occurs over 6800 rpm. The sensor connectors should not have changed locations because they have never been unplugged prior to the problem starting. As far as trying a new ECU I am not sure of that either. I feel that the overheat issue is happening because there are two sensors showing it in the software.

Anyone else have any ideas? Help and input is greatly appreciated.

Can anyone help on this???

Really would like to ride this weekend. Anyone with any other ideas?

( Had to go RXT.....Baby) Ultra Junkie's Avatar

Don't hold your breath.....

Wish I had a clue for you..... You have been waiting on a reply....just fyi this forum is ego based.... Hope the tech finds the problem - if he does - let us know what it was.... If he does not - get ready for a long drawn out battle with Kawi - they have a great big book of oh, it's not our problem excuses.... Just keep hammerin' them until you get results....

Thread Information