+1

Sea Doo celebrates their 20th anniversary with the 08 lineup

Since re launching the modern Sea Doo watercraft in 1988, BRP has built the Sea Doo name into one of the biggest marine brands in the world with over one million units manufactured.

BRP raises the bar for 2008 with the dramatic new "X" models.

BRP lives up to its reputation for coming out on top of the musclecraft segment by launching the new Sea Doo RXP-X and RXT-X 255 HP skis.

Here are the pictures you have been dieing to see

high resolution

high resolution

The RXT-X comes standard with the VTS system.

high resolution

high resolution

high resolution

So now that you're finished drooling over the pics I'm sure you want to know how they perform. I spent many hours over a couple of days flogging these skis. I have to say, they far exceeded my expectations. The hole shot and acceleration of these skis is unreal. I would say that in a standing start the RXP-X would out run a highly modified Stage 3 RXP up to around 50 mph and at that point the Stage 3 would walk away. These "X" models were designed to be acceleration monsters and BRP definately achieved that goal. The RXP-X is said to accelerate from a standing stop out 200 feet in less than 4 seconds.

Changes were made to the pump tunnel and the intake grate to allow these skis to hole-shot and accelerate so well. The RXP-X pump tunnel is 18 mm wider than that of the RXP. It's also longer and features a huge scoop grate that funnels water to the pump for optimum efficiency.

I had my GPS with me, but conditions were less than ideal to get some top speed numbers. Shasta Lake is at 1000 feet elevation and temps were hot so the most i saw was 7900 RPM's. Also the lake was chopped up and i was unable to find any glass water. Despite this, i still managed to pull 68.8 mph on the RXP-X.

In ideal conditions and at sea level with the ski running at its peak 8100-8150 RPM's i think would be able to sqeeze 70 mph out of this ski.

I think the RXP-X will be capable of 75 mph with just a few minor changes. First would be the intake grate. We would need one that actually closes off the enlarged intake inlet. This would cost us a bit of acceleration, but trust me, there is enough acceleration there that losing a little bit would be painless. Also, a change in the pump impeller would be necessary. The Sea Doo engineers told me that the impeller is specifially designed to "use up" horsepower on the top end to keep the speeds down.

I hear Riva is already working on mods for the new "X" model skis

So, is there anything i disliked about it or would change? I still don't like the instrument cluster. I think the gauges on the 04 models were better and much easier to read. It would have been nice to of had a different hull design, but i think that is coming in future years

Other than that i think the "X" models are a winner and i will have one sitting on my trailer

Because of the pump tunnel change and the new intake grate hookup thru chop is greatly improved. I couldn't believe i was actually running a RXP full speed thru heavy chop and it was staying hooked up. This is unheard of for an RXP.

The RXT-X doesn't have any pump tunnel changes, but has even better hookup than it did before with the addition of the newly designed grate.

Here are a couple of pictures of the scoop grate on the X models.

Attached are a couple of pics of the upgraded supercharger. As you can see the impeller is much larger than that of the supercharger found on the 215 HP units.

Also new for 08 is the addition of metal washers
    Clutch lubrication has been improved on 08 models as well with oil being pumped down the center of the supercharger shaft to feed the clutch a constant supply of fresh oil. BRP definitely hit a home run with this design.
    You will notice in the picture that a hole has been drilled at an angle into the supercharger housing to help get more oil to the front bearing. The BRP officials i spoke with didn't know if this hole would make it into production units or not.

Sea Doo will offer a retrofit kit for all previous models that use a supercharger.

The new external inter cooler is all aluminum and fits just above the pump tunnel over the VTS motor. Plumbing is rubber.

This inter cooler features large water passageways so that it won't clog up. When i asked them about salt water corrosion they said that as long as proper flushing is done after every ride it won't be a problem. They have put these inter cooler on test units and have 350+ hours with no failures. BRP also told me that the inter cooler is considered an emission component and is covered by a 400 hour warranty

Other features of the "X" models are the racing inspired steering system made from billet aluminum complete with a billet finger throttle and switch housing.

high resolution

The seats on "X" models feature a high grip low profile seat and a aggressive "diamond plate" pattern foot well mats.

New for all of the 4-tec engines this year is the removal of an exhaust J-pipe. The newly designed water box direct connects to the exhaust manifold with a coupler.

Although not havin a J-Pipe is a cool idea this is going to pose somewhat of a problem for us high performance freaks that want to run an 02 sensor to keep tabs on our air fuel ratio as now there is nowhere to weld a bung into a jacketed portion of the exhaust. Right now the only way i see to run the 02 sensor is to get an exhaust manifold, J-pipe and waterbox off of a previous year model and run that.

The pumps remain the same on the "X" models, but the pitch on the impeller is different. Also, the RXP models no longer have the "sharks teeth" on the pump support.

The RXP is available again this year in your choice of 155 or 215 HP.
    The only color choice is Viper Red/White/Black

high resolution

All specifications remain the same for 08.

The 215 HP RXT is back again this year a new Silver Metallic color or Viper Red/White/Black.

The GTX Limited is back this year with 215 HP in a beautiful Cosmos Blue color.

high resolution

The GTX is available in either 155 or 215 HP configurations and comes in Cosmos Blue and White.

For the Sport Segment Models Sea Doo gives us the WAKE 215 HP and WAKE 155 HP both of which feature VTS to maximize acceleration and further assist in fine tuning the shape of the wake.

Another option available this year is the Sea Doo ballast system. This new ballast system allows the rider to add up to 220 lbs of additional weight to the rear swim platform. The benefit is greater "pop" when launching off the wake, giving the boarder more height, and making it easier to jump wake to wake and do more advanced maneuvers. A firmer wake also gives wake skaters a better platform for technical tricks.

The ballast system uses water pressure from the WAKE models pump to conveniently fill the ballast tanks in about two minutes, while a clever quick-connect feature allows the tanks to be easily removed when not in use. The ballast system also features a large non skid surface and footrests for the rear facing spotter. A wake board can be easily carried to and from the ride site on the integrated rack, while an optional second board rack can also be added.

high resolution

The GTI SE is available in either 155 or 130 HP configurations.
    The 155 HP version is available in Regal Red or Spring Green.
    The 130 HP version is only available in Regal Red.

high resolution

high resolution

The GTI 130 is available in Regal Red.

high resolution

+1
    Attached in this post are the technical specifications for each watercraft.

Please note, MSRP prices were not available at the time of the press release.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    More specs
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    The venue for this press release was Shasta Lake in California. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful setting for this to take place. Here are a few pics i took for you guys to enjoy.

I also wanted to thank my BRP hosts for inviting me to this event. I consider it an honor to have been invited and it was a pleasure meeting you. Thank's for putting up with my constant technical questions

+1
    and a picture made by meirvin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information