Octane for superchargers

Must pass this on. Currently I changed the stock S/C impellar for the Vortech one. Upon inpecting the old one it was brought to my attention that the stock one was ate up a little bit. Reason was I used a real high octane fuel on several occasions in the range of 140 octane. Well the power and reponse was wonderful. But in the end it will eat your stock impellar up. So stick with the 93 Octane if you have a stock impellar. Right now I am seeing if the new one can be treated to resist the breakdown effect of high octane. Don't use it that much but on occasions I like to.

??????????? how could high octaine fuel eat the supercharger impeler
    no fuel gets any wear near it. also the high octaine fuel wont make much if any differnce in a stock or lightly mdded rxp motor. u need high boost and ported heads with high compresion to need high octaine fuel. at leat
    that is how it works in the car world! 11.5 to 1 comp pump prem, 12 to 1 or higher 110 octaine. as a rule for naturally asperated motors. little diff for charged motors but the rxp motor is 8.5 to 9 to 1 stock. use prem gas.

well hell you are so right on that. Guess mine was a faulty impellar from the jump then. The upper most part of the fins on the impellar looked like they were ate up by something. Due to that it also looked like I lost some boost or should I say performance due to the condition of the impellar. I thought the air and fuel mixed before the S/C and it boosted it into the cylinders. I stand corrected. appreciate it. this is on a 03 limited.

+1
    you could have sucked in water.. that can break blades.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    post a pic... i thought my blades were eaten up... when really it was like that from the factory for balancing issues

I will as soon I can post one. Wife has the camera and she is out of country with it at this time. It looks pitted like do to exposure or something. Sure doesn't look like a factory balancing issue. HA HA HA

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-K
    ??????????? how could high octaine fuel eat the supercharger impeler
    no fuel gets any wear near it. also the high octaine fuel wont make much if any differnce in a stock or lightly mdded rxp motor. u need high boost and ported heads with high compresion to need high octaine fuel. at leat
    that is how it works in the car world! 11.5 to 1 comp pump prem, 12 to 1 or higher 110 octaine. as a rule for naturally asperated motors. little diff for charged motors but the rxp motor is 8.5 to 9 to 1 stock. use prem gas.
    In the car world. Its the internal combustion world.

+1
    Ken, alot of times oil droplets can hit the supercharger impeller causing the pitting you are seeing. Our positive crankcase ventilation system empties out into our air intake tracts which can cause oil to build up in the intake. This is also why alot of us go to a catch can type system.

Well that makes a whole lot of sense now. Man you guys are on top of your game and keep the unknowing in the know for sure. Compared the two impellars and the vortech is the one. Major difference between the two. I ordered the gasket thanks for letting me know on that. So all should be here about the same time. If the weather here was any good I wouldn't be able to stand it but for now crappy weather and should be good by the time we get it all back together. I had approx a 180 hours or more on that impellar any way. Hard hours HA HA HA

+1
    Thats why we have em Ken... to ride em HARD!!!

Thread Information