Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R & D's Response to my Email about pulley kit, intercooler and keeping gas out of oil

The engine performance kit was tested with the stock intake and with the stock water boxes. It accelerates quick, full tank of gas or not! We have not tested the effects of restrictive air intakes on the supercharger with added boost. The stock intake is a great nonrestrictive system. The aftermarket filter intake systems on the market have one thing in common, they eliminate the plenum area with the vacuum lines. This feature is a very important working function in the R&D oil management system, so I hope you still have your stock system, your going to need it. Our oil management system is working really well in our test boat evacuating the crank cases and maintaining the oil condition and level.
    We have tested the free flow exhaust system. Although we did not find any performance gain with it in our stock ski, or in our performance kit.
    Yes, it is true. The R&D intercooler cooling kit drastically lowers the air temperature.

The engine performance kit is complete and ready to ship. It should be a few weeks to have the oil management system and the cooling kit ready. I suspect we are going to get flooded with orders for the oil and cooling kit so you might want to call and put your name on our call back list.

R&D

Thats great news, thanks for posting it... I was just about to order the Riva air intake, glad I didn't.... I think they are correct, a lot of people will be interested in the oil management and inter-cooler mods...

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    The Riva performance filter has eliminated the smog port, however, the catch can vent port and BOV/Relief valve connections are still present.

Did i misunderstand something??

Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    The Riva performance filter has eliminated the smog port, however, the catch can vent port and BOV/Relief valve connections are still present.

Did i misunderstand something??
    I think they are referring moreso to the "homemade" kits and the R-Rated kit. The Riva kit still has both the vent ports available just like the stock kit does. So even though they claim that the Riva Performance Filter provides no gain, you should not have to remove it and go back to stock since the Riva kit has ALL the same connections as stock and passes at LEAST the same amount of air (especially since no gain was noticed... apparantly neither was a loss.).

The stock intake appears to be a good intake since it is tilted off to one side helps greatly with water ingestion (if you experience flipping the ski over etc).

Just my thoughts. Their engine performance kits sound like an instant winner but keep in mind that it is $1770. It says significantly faster holeshot/ acceleration and 2 mph top end gain.

I am looking forward to their intercooler mod and the oil/gas solution.

Curtis
    Last edited by cue03; 08-23-2007 at 03:16 PM.

SeaDoocer
    I personally spoke with Glenn @ R&D this morning and the intercooler is going to be nice indeed. On Lake Havasu @ 116 degrees the intercooler turned 116 d temps into 80 exiting the system!! Nice...

And yes, they really are having problems with the gas in the oil..it is not our imagination. Matter of fact they have been having this problem with 15f's for some time so it was no surprise to them..But, as he said, there is light at the end coming our way. And also, it was their team who found out about the rubber nubs on the oil stick and in turn showed the Japanese engineers when they were in Havasu!
    And, no, they are not working in conjuction on this with Kawi! This is their own deal....

Great,,,, now can we just confirm if their oil/gas solution will work w/ the riva air intake ??

thanks for all the info..

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    Great,,,, now can we just confirm if their oil/gas solution will work w/ the riva air intake ??

Well, Chris, you might want to call Glenn @ R&D and speak with him about that...I believe their intake is a little different and it works well with their oil setup...he did mention that one of the competitors air intake has eliminated some hoses off the catch can which will cause problems. I hope I phrased that right and didn't misquote him..but you can call..Glenn is very accomodating over the phone..

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Hey guys,

I've read alot hear but have been a bit busy lately too. Where did i miss the details on the solution to gas in the oil??

Quote Originally Posted by erckawasaki View Post
    The engine performance kit is complete and ready to ship. It should be a few weeks to have the oil management system and the cooling kit ready. I suspect we are going to get flooded with orders for the oil and cooling kit so you might want to call and put your name on our call back list.
    I also talked with Glenn @ R&D today. He is a great guy to talk with and is a wealth of information. I went ahead and had him add my name to the call back list so that I can get the oil and cooling kit when its ready.

One thing he did warn me about; if you are having problems with gas in the oil due to bad ring or valve sealing after several hours - have a leakdown test done. If the leakdown is out of spec then the problem can only be fixed by opening up the engine (honing or new valves).

If the leakdown is within spec, the oil management kit will be a big help. For me, after 35 hours and several oil changes, I'm noticing less gas in both the oil and drain tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information