Thread: slow 97 GSX???

slow 97 GSX???

why is my brothers 1997 GSX so slow off the start? it has no problem top end(but isnt what it used to be ) but off line i leave him on my 97 SPX by like 6-7 boat lengths and then i kepp pullin away from him little by little. both our ski's are stock. ive cleaned his carb filters, replaced the main fuel filter,cleaned the raves, adjusted them and the water box rave.cut back the plug cables,installed new plugs .what else is there? it only has 42 hours on it? the wear ring looks good.it was flooded with water about a month or so ago when he forgot to put in his drain plugs,but it seemed alright,when we flipped it got out the water etc etc.but now its just slow off line. his neighbor just bought the eaxct same ski and his smokes my brothers so now he's really anxious to get it fixed.any ideas on what to do next?other then sell it and buy the 05 RXP sittin at our dealers-that would definetly shut up his neighbor-too bad about mortagages, wives, kids and car payments... ....thanks for any input.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by levonhelmet View Post
    why is my brothers 1997 GSX so slow off the start? it has no problem top end(but isnt what it used to be ) but off line i leave him on my 97 SPX by like 6-7 boat lengths and then i kepp pullin away from him little by little. both our ski's are stock. ive cleaned his carb filters, replaced the main fuel filter,cleaned the raves, adjusted them and the water box rave.cut back the plug cables,installed new plugs .what else is there? it only has 42 hours on it? the wear ring looks good.it was flooded with water about a month or so ago when he forgot to put in his drain plugs,but it seemed alright,when we flipped it got out the water etc etc.but now its just slow off line. his neighbor just bought the eaxct same ski and his smokes my brothers so now he's really anxious to get it fixed.any ideas on what to do next?other then sell it and buy the 05 RXP sittin at our dealers-that would definetly shut up his neighbor-too bad about mortagages, wives, kids and car payments... ....thanks for any input.
    Pull the starter to make sure the front cover doesn't have water in it.

too bad i didnt know to do this yesterday when i had the carbs out,cause i think they need to be out to get to the starter right?
    just wondering, other then the fact that it isnt good for it -what does water in the starter have to do with the ski being slow?

water inside the case were the fly wheel is and the flywheel having to spin threw the water.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by amdeus View Post
    water inside the case were the fly wheel is and the flywheel having to spin threw the water.
    Also a wet pickup will hurt performance. You can pull the starter with the carbs in place...it's just a bit harder accessing the rear socket head bolt. No need to take off the wire...just take it off at the battery. Should be less than a 15 minute job for a first-timer.

Banned User
    If you had a flooded hull at some point, you should check the ignition module box next to the battery. A 1996 GSX that I have been working on for a friend was totally dead until I found the electrical problem.

The hull had been flooded and water infiltrated the ignition box.

The terminals were corroded and everything was soaking wet. After drying it out, I but and remounted some terminals. Boat started with no problem after that cleanup.

Water in that module could be impeding top performance.

hi yes thanks for the posting.we emptied that as soon as we emptied the hull of water then dried it all and the boat ran fine.it actually seemed to run alot better this weekend.we adjusted the raves until we found the sweet spots and its running well.only the initial take off isnt quite as good as it should be.

Thread Information