Question about some popular mods (ride plate, intake, etc)

Hey guys, I have an 07 GTI SE 155 that I'm interested in "playing around with" already. I'm an automotive tech by trade and a performance nut so I can't resist the urge to start playing around with my girlfriend and I's new toy. Oh, before you say it, I know the GTI, even with the 155, isn't intended as a performance ski. I'm totally aware that I will never see near the speeds of the supercharged skis and I'm totally cool with that. This is just for fun for me. We mostly just cruise on our ski and tow the tube/wakeboard but I'd love to have a little more zip... who wouldn't? That being said, I had some questions about some of the popular mods:

Ride Plate Holes:
    If I understand correctly, there is a heat exchanger in the ride plate? Does filling the holes and/or painting the plate hurt cooling in any way? Can you really see a 1 MPH gain from doing this? Also, I imagine this makes removing the ride plate a major PITA... is there any service I may need to do one day that requires removing the ride plate?

Cold Air Intake:
    This mod seems like a really good idea to me. It makes sense that you will see a power increase because the stock airbox is pulling hot air from inside the hull. The only thing that makes me hesistant about doing the intake is that the airbox is designed like this for a reason, I'm told by my Seadoo dealer. Apparently the engine is supposed to "vaccuum out" the hull to prevent the buildup of fuel vapours. Air comes in the 4 vent hoses, and the engine pumps it out. What have you guys done about this? Is the intake less safe? What differences did you notice after doing the intake?

Thru-hull Exhaust:
    Are there any gains to been seen from doing this mod? Is it in any way possible to do it without removing OPAS? I'm no stranger to customizing, so if it takes a little messing around, that's okay. And about OPAS... on to my last question...

Removing OPAS:
    I've been doing searches about all my questions, and the only concrete thing I've learned about removing OPAS is that everyone has a different opinion about whether or not the ski is "better" without it. So can you guys give me a general idea of how the ski rides/corners differently without OPAS? Is it true that it won't corner as hard/sharp?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time very much.

Filling the ride plate holes didn't hurt the cooling. Painting is supposed to. I didn't see any real improvement in speed...I also don't have a gps with which to test so....had only a stock ski with which to compare.

Air comes in the 4 vent hoses, and the engine pumps it out.
    ...not on my ski. Air in at glove box/front seat. Out through exhaust and vent under seat mounting bracket. I did see a slight increase in speed with this (4" lowes mod)...sounds cool too.

re opas...I've blocked mine up...it still causes drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Sailor View Post
    Hey guys, I have an 07 GTI SE 155 that I'm interested in "playing around with" already. I'm an automotive tech by trade and a performance nut so I can't resist the urge to start playing around with my girlfriend and I's new toy. Oh, before you say it, I know the GTI, even with the 155, isn't intended as a performance ski. I'm totally aware that I will never see near the speeds of the supercharged skis and I'm totally cool with that. This is just for fun for me. We mostly just cruise on our ski and tow the tube/wakeboard but I'd love to have a little more zip... who wouldn't? That being said, I had some questions about some of the popular mods:

Ride Plate Holes:
    If I understand correctly, there is a heat exchanger in the ride plate? Does filling the holes and/or painting the plate hurt cooling in any way? Can you really see a 1 MPH gain from doing this? Also, I imagine this makes removing the ride plate a major PITA... is there any service I may need to do one day that requires removing the ride plate?
    Yes the rideplate acts as a heat exchanger. No, filling in the rideplate does not affect the rideplate's ability to cool. A 1mph gain is the MOST you will see. I gained 0.5mph and this has been the case with most people. A few have reported a 1mph gain. You shouldn't need to remove the rideplate unless it cracks or something. Getting the weld stick out of the rideplate holes isn't bad if you do the process properly as stated in the How To thread.

Cold Air Intake:
    This mod seems like a really good idea to me. It makes sense that you will see a power increase because the stock airbox is pulling hot air from inside the hull. The only thing that makes me hesistant about doing the intake is that the airbox is designed like this for a reason, I'm told by my Seadoo dealer. Apparently the engine is supposed to "vaccuum out" the hull to prevent the buildup of fuel vapours. Air comes in the 4 vent hoses, and the engine pumps it out. What have you guys done about this? Is the intake less safe? What differences did you notice after doing the intake?
    I have not heard of anyone doing a different air intake for the 155 4tecs. I'm sure it can be done, but there is not much out there for your platform. It was never intended to be a performnace machine.

Thru-hull Exhaust:
    Are there any gains to been seen from doing this mod? Is it in any way possible to do it without removing OPAS? I'm no stranger to customizing, so if it takes a little messing around, that's okay. And about OPAS... on to my last question...
    There are no gains. I love the thru hull though. Nice crisp sound from the ski and is nowhere near annoying. It also frees up a lot of space in the engine compartment and allows you to work on your ski with less obstructions.

Removing OPAS:
    I've been doing searches about all my questions, and the only concrete thing I've learned about removing OPAS is that everyone has a different opinion about whether or not the ski is "better" without it. So can you guys give me a general idea of how the ski rides/corners differently without OPAS? Is it true that it won't corner as hard/sharp?
    Just do a search and that's about all the info you will get. Like you said, some people like the OPAS some don't. Try the OPAS blocks, if you like them leave them on. If you don't like the way the ski handles without the OPAS blockoffs then simply reinstall the OPAS and sell the OPAS blockoffs.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time very much.
    answers are in red

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was under the impression exhaust mods would increase performance, I didn't realize it was just a sound thing. How does the sound change? Is it louder?

If anybody else wants to weigh in on my questions, I appreciate it.

Talking

i did the thru exhaust mod and had the water box shortened 3 1/2 inches and drilled holes in the baffles. i also have the opas block off kit installed.i have a worxs intake grate and sponsons and removed the reverse bucket.other goodies include hydro turf custom race seat, aftermarket bars and trigger throttle...

exhaust mod= noticable difference

waterbox mod=noticable difference

opas= ski turns and goes with no resistance and makes steering feel tighter and more responsive plus 1mph gain on straight shot test.

worxs grate ,sponsons combo= big handling difference it carves and turns on a dime under full speed. handles in the chop on the bouys like a champ i sold my gpr cuzz i love the gti ..

reverse bucket removal= 1 1/2 mph on straight shot reading.

future mods= r and d power shot fuel module,solas prop, and fabed air intake, plus more..

to the people that say the gtis are never fast i begg to differ mine is the base 130 hp model and at the races nobody believes me it is what i say it is i can outrun gprs and 15 fs on the bouys so i say if you love youre gti spend some money and get creative and in return you will have a verry nimble reliable fun ski for stock class racing and recreation...

i know i know now lets hear the haters that dont like seadoos...

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    I think those are all excellent questions for the first time ski owner and the mods to make first. I had some of those questions just a few weeks ago.

Thread Information