Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Uncovered my GTX today, has no spark.

I tried firing it up, but it has no spark. It started and ran so well last fall when I put it away. I had brand new plugs in it when I storred it last fall, and they were in the motor all winter, and I used the same plugs when I tried today. Still no spark. I pulled off the spark plug caps and trimmed each wire by a half inch, and just jammed the wires back in the caps and zip tied them. That didn't work. It turned over really well. If my battery is weak at all would it have enough power to turn over the motor but not give spark? Could it be that I just need to try new plugs? I don't get it, it started fine last fall, and had spark, so why not now after stroage? Thanks, Charlie

Charlie was the motor fogged? Did you try any spark plug in the boot to see if you have spark?
    be careful of fumes and all...PR...

Yeah PR that's how I discovered that it has no spark, and yes I did fog the motor last fall. I'll try charging the battery fully and getting new plugs. Could it be that I did the plug wires wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ccassone
    Yeah PR that's how I discovered that it has no spark, and yes I did fog the motor last fall. I'll try charging the battery fully and getting new plugs. Could it be that I did the plug wires wrong?
    if you had no sparK before you trimmed the plug wires, and installed the boots/caps correctly and still have no spark, then I wouldn`t think it is the boots/caps...

inside the boot/cap was there a pin that sticks down into the wire ends?
    Do they twist on?...PR...

I looked into the cap, and it just looked like a metal snap cap like a button, no pin. The metal in the cap just snaps onto the tip of the plug, that's all I know. The wire didn't screw in, I just pulled it out. Do you know if I should have tried to unscrew it? or did I yank the wire out and something is still screwed in there?

Quote Originally Posted by ccassone
    I looked into the cap, and it just looked like a metal snap cap like a button, no pin. The metal in the cap just snaps onto the tip of the plug, that's all I know. The wire didn't screw in, I just pulled it out. Do you know if I should have tried to unscrew it? or did I yank the wire out and something is still screwed in there?
    That`s possible, is that a 951 in there? did the end of the wire look torn, or straight cut? I don`t know how much force you used to pull it off! ...PR...

Pr it is a 580, I should have said that before, it is a 580. Here is what it looks like....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catching_4_foot_sandshark_533.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	2761  

whoooops, I'm repeating myself now! LOL

Ok, I just looked at the caps, and with a light I saw that there is like a post or prong sticking straight out in the end of the cap that the wire goes into. And the ends of the wires before I cut them had little ridges on the outside. There were similar ridges inside the ends of the caps. These are like threads, so I guess the wires were supposed to be twisted on and off. Does that prong just poke into the ends of the wires to amke contact with them? So I guess I could just jam the wires back in because I trimmed the parts of the wires with the ridges off. If I leave enough wire exposed, will I get contact by jamming the wires back in? Thanks, Charlie.

It still has no spark at all. The battery is fully charged. I just don't understand. Last fall it started flawlessly, everytime, and I never had any trouble at all. How can a motor just go from perfect working order to no spark over the winter? Should I redo the connections from the magneto housing to the computer? Please, I need to sell this thing soon, and I have to figure this out. If you guys can give me a big list of everything to check for. It turns over really fast and strong with the plugs in, and I took them out and checked and there is no spark at all. It is getting fuel, the compression is 130 and 130. Please, and thankyou, Charlie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information