Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need some help asap on a 96sl780 not starting

ok so here it is...i have riden the ski 2 times this season. and today i took it out thinking i was gonna go riding. and went to start it up and it turned over once and then i went to hit the start button again and nothing. when i hit the start button it clicks once and then kind of makes a grinding sound like the starter is spinning slowly. i just dont understand how it could crap out that quick? i also tried bypassing the starter relay and that did nothing? any suggestions on what it might be? or roughly how much its going to cost to have a new starter installed if that is the problem? i would really appreciate some feedback on this guys....i wanna get some more time in this season.
    thanks a million!!!

+1
    Make sure you can rotate the engine buy hand with the spark plugs removed. You might have a locked up motor or jet pump. You can pull the plastic shroud covering the drive-shaft to turn it.

thanks for the quick reply....how exactly do i do that? and do i need tools? and also how will i know which problem it is that youre refering to? sorry to be such a newb by the way!

+1
    Remove the spark plugs. Remove the hose clamp holding the plastic shroud and remove. If the motor does not turn by hand than you will have to remove the jet pump which is not hard but do the above first and see what you get. It might be some other problem. But i would like to rule out any binding condition.

i know this is probably not the problem and i havent got the chance to check yet. but is it possible the battery got low after sitting a couple weeks and doesnt have the juice to crank the starter all the way?

+1
    Yes that is possable.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Charge or replace battery. If that doesn't do it, try the test Beerdart said for sure.

Beerdart,
    so this morning i did exactly what you told me to do...the shaft moved freely. also just from common knowledge i checked the ground wire on the engine. took it off cleaned it and the ground itself and put it back on. so my question is what now? think the only other possibility is the starter? how hard is it to fix?

+1
    Well thats good that the thing spins nice. It could be the battery? Is it new?

yes the battery is new this season. it wouldnt even take a jump. and the battery that was in it before was completely gone and it took a jump at the begining of the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information