Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar

40mm accelerator pump question

I just got my sl900 to 1050 running. I have 40mm carbs from a 98 slxh with an accelerator pump. But the pump is not squirting out any fuel. Any ideas? I took the carbs apart to rejet and change the backing plate for the accelerator pump with one from my 96 b/c the 98 was a little rough. However the pumps looked the same. Let me know guy I am going to the lake tomorrow with or without an accelerator pump.

Thanks

-Christian79

+1
    The pump disk on the shaft is different and may not be pushing the accel pump pin in far enough to squirt gas out. Put the 98 back on and it should work...at least it did when I sent it to you. Can you explain what you mean by the 98 was a little rough? Also, just a correction, the carbs came off a 98 SLTX.

The only thing I switched over was the external cover plate. B/c my 96 had no chips and I did not want to mess with touching up the carbs till winter. I think I am going to do a custom paint job on them. Anyway the carbs are great but I just switched the jet and accelerator pump covers with my 96's which looked a little better. Thanks again. BTW could the accelerator pump cover really be that different from 96 to 98?

+1
    Yes they could be...I don't have a 96 in front of me so I can't say for sure but I know Polaris has played around with the carbs just about every year they were made. What can be different is the amount the pin needs to be pushed in by the wheel on the shaft. Polaris changed the size of the wheel on the shaft a number of times...smaller than bigger, trying to get the right combination with the engine. So if 98 carbs have a smaller wheel, it might not be pushing the accel pin in enough that you used from the 96 if I understand what you changed. You might want to take off the gas line out from the accel pump and see if it's blocked for some reason...some debris may have come losse during shipping and when you went to run the carbs the gas pushed the debris into the line and it blocked. Shouldn't be hard to get it working again whatever the case. Keep us updated.

i just upgraded mine also the pumps didnt wanna work , it was becuase of lime scale build up ,

take off one of the hoses , and take the straw on the carb cleaner insert it in and take pliyers 2 clamp around it , give it some pressure , if it sparys out than the diafram is no good ,

+1
    O.K. If they were working before and don't know, only 2 things could have happened.
    The plate is different or the diaghram was left out or backward, have any pictures of the diaghram with the cover off?
    Can you get us a photo of the two covers as I don't have them here to compare either.
    Well actually 3 things, the injector or feedlines/holes could be plugged and preventing fuel to the carb.

Ok guys I am good to go. I looked closely at the accelerator cover and the 98 had a number 2 and the 96 had a 1. So I switched them back over and with the engine running used a screw driver to hold the shaft in while at idle and they started to work. Thanks guys. I am off to the lake

-Christian79

Also I changed all the gas lines except the little grey ones.

+1
    Good to hear...have fun!!!

The 900 cc had 38mm carbs correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gvnitup View Post
    The 900 cc had 38mm carbs correct?
    Correct.

Thread Information