2003 GTX 4 TEC/SC pump problems

First off hello and thanks for the forum. This is my first post.

My friend has a 2003 GTX 4 TEC/SC that has had a few wear rings replaced and I could not believe that the dealership would just keep replacing them versus finding what the true cause was.

When I opened it up it was apparent that the prop shaft had excessive play. Do these bearings just wear out of is this an isolated case?

Hopefully when we get it back together he will be back to full speed, he didn't like the loss of MPH.

His machine has the RIVA stage 1 kit (pump wedge, OPAS, cold air, and impeller, if I remember correctly. What RPM and GPS MPH should he be seeing?

The '03 GTX-SCs had a plastic pump which deflected under power. As the pump flexed, 2 opposite sides of the wear ring would wear. After just a few hours, performance was down. My '03 GTX-SC went through 4 or 5 wear rings before PPG replaced my plastic pump with the '04 aluminum pump under extended warranty. The new wear ring has little or no wear in the last year. If the ski is still under warranty, contact PPG and see what they can doo. Otherwise, it's around $800 for an aluminum pump, as very few of the plastic pump parts will fit. Good luck, Ron

Anyone have part numbers for these improved parts?

The RIVA order line stated that they do not have anything that would work with a 2003. I did not talk to them, the owner of the machine did. RIVA sent him a rebuild kit and no pump?

Maybe he should have listened to me and talked with Greenie?

Quote Originally Posted by HD RACING View Post
    The RIVA order line stated that they do not have anything that would work with a 2003. I did not talk to them, the owner of the machine did. RIVA sent him a rebuild kit and no pump?

Maybe he should have listened to me and talked with Greenie?
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37127

there are the classifieds here, EBay, and buying every single part to build an alum pump from online sources.
    You can install any current GTX/RXT/RXP pump, but you must install the GTX wear ring for alum pumps. I believe you can re-use the stock prop, al though these are somewhat obsolete design as opposed to what`s out here. even the 04 props are made a bit different...depended on the vendors...PR...

Thread Information