Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bugs...

Bugs...

What bugs/pests are common to your living area? as I have mentioned before, I would like to move eventually. I see that some states really have it bad with bugs.
    where do you live? and what type of PITA bugs do you have?
    NJ: Mosquito`s, biting gnats, green head flys. right about now I can`t even go outside without getting eatin` alive ...PR...

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    lots of little (some are large) spiders
    fire ants are crazy in late summer

loud ass cicadas in the evenings that do fly-by's

few mosquitos when its rainy

worst things in summer are just regular housefly's

+1
    Andy, if you have a dislike for insects, don't ever consider moving to FL. While South FL is not that bad, East Central is terrible especially on the Barrier Island where I live. Besides the normal mosquitos than need stagnant water to breed, we have "salt marsh mosquitos" that lay eggs in sand and seem to turn into very hungry adults overnight ! Old timers didn't name the bay "Mosquito Lagoon" for nothing. These mosquitos are out feeding 24 hours a day even in the bright sunlight.

Then you have the "no see-ums". Also appropiately called "All Jaws" These things are so tiny that you can't see them but you sure can feel them ! The space between the mesh on a window screen is like a garage door to them...they fit right through. They usually bite from the waist down. The bites itch for hours...worse than any mosquito. They also are in a 24 hour attack mode.

Walk onto the beach after dark and you will get attacked by chiggers or something similiar to them. another waist down attacker...just don't decide to lay down on the sand no matter how hot the chick might be!

Up north you have the Green flies. Down here we have the exact same thing, only they are Orange in color. Once they find you they will continue to come back to bite until you squish them .

Probably the worst bite from any of the insects (a scorpion isn't an insect) comes from a tiny ant....the Fire Ant. Walk close to a mound and they will crawl up your legs, get between your toes and into your shoes, all without you realizing it. Suddenly when one gives the "command" they all bite at once. The bites burn like fire and leave an ugly puss filled blister that usually results in a scar.

Carpenter Ants can also bite if you disturb a nest. Here they are red in color, up north black.

Of course Florida also has hornets, yellow jackets, bees etc. Probably all the insects I remember from growing up on Long Island. Up north the bugs are only active in the spring and summer...winter gives you guys a break. Down here its bite time year round.

There has to be a better place ??

(I almost forgot to mention the spiders. Wolf spiders the size of small crabs. The Brown Recluse spider whos bite kills the flesh similiar to gang green and can be fatal. Black widows too. Want to start a topic on snakes? )

Richard
    Last edited by way2fast; 08-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.

In Washington state there's like no bugs that are a pain. At least on Whiebdy Island. Then again, why the f*ck would you move up to this boring a$$ place. It is infested with other problems such as hippys, old retired people, and stupid people, and in the summer...tourists. In the end it might be a good place to retire but anything else....screw it.

+1
    Eastern NC bug report.
    1. We have mosquitos that bear personal FAA identification numbers on their fuselage. Some even flaunt their names on the front windscreens. They travel in squadrons this time of year. They will use any means necessary to bite you in the damnest of places of places on your body.
    2. Gnats. They don't bite, but would prefer kamakazi missions straight into your eyeball or to perform other miscellaneous aerobatics in your ear. This time of year, you can tell if somone is from the county or city by the way they wave their hand. The county folks boast more of a swatting action versus that of a salutation type wave.
    3. Fire ants. They are really getting bad in my area. Thanks to advancements in the use of black powder "containment", their habitat area is decresing rapidly. They provide recon for the Skeeter Squadron.
    4. Ticks. Horrible this time of year especially in our current drought conditions. These are the elite ground troops for the Skeeter Squadrons.

Im my immediate area, these are the 4 main annoyances as far as insects go. In the winter time, all is well.

wildchild: how close are you to wilmington or ogden? I always wanted to ride the cape fear river and intercoastal, but didn`t get the chance, family moved...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    What bugs/pests are common to your living area? as I have mentioned before, I would like to move eventually. I see that some states really have it bad with bugs.
    where do you live? and what type of PITA bugs do you have?
    NJ: Mosquito`s, biting gnats, green head flys. right about now I can`t even go outside without getting eatin` alive ...PR...

Lets see

* Texas Fireant
    * Texas Cockroach
    * Texas Mosquito

They are all big here.............

Ok, since I mostly read post and rarely reply I feel it very appropriate to chime in here since Im actually a sales manager for a large pest control company here in Beaumont Texas (just east of Houston). We have almost any insect you can think of due to the climate which offers all the conducive conditions for most to survive in. Since we do not have very cold winters with freezes the insect population doesnt dwindle much. Sub termites, Formosan Termites and Drywood termites are very bad - wont hurt you but will hurt your pocket book. Large american cockroaches and smokey brown roaches are in abundance - these get so big you think about riding them Mosquitoes are bad but if you use your cajun colonge (off) before you go outside your ok. Since we have tons of insects here the spiders are also in abundance because as we all know spiders eat insects. Rodent problems such as the Norway rat, Roof rat and the common house mouse are a huge problem (a properly maintained home can keep these out). Although Pest control is basically a luxary, down here it is almost a necessity. I sell alot of the Mosquito Misting systems which help kill off many flying and crawling insects. Where ever you decide to move down south just make sure you got a good bug man that is knowlegable about not just pest control but about all the conditions which are conducive to pest, termites, mosquitoes ect.....

liberals and freshman college students?

Mosquitos mostly. out in the marsh lands green flies are killer and ya can't even walk your dog w/o getting eaten alive. no poisonous spiders or snakes or anything really. termites can get bad but thats everywhere.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    wildchild: how close are you to wilmington or ogden? I always wanted to ride the cape fear river and intercoastal, but didn`t get the chance, family moved...PR...

Andy...STAY ON TOPIC !!!

LOL
    Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information