Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy UPDATE ! 94 B1 Blaster, Time For Motor Rebuild ?

Hello every one.
    I'm new here and thought I would post this to see if any one here could help me.

Yesterday I was out riding my 94 B1 blaster, I had just fixed my water leak issue, all was good.

I was jumping some 4' waves catching some decent air "Had a Blast" untell I made one last jump and when I landed I gave it some throttle and it about died on me and started running REALLY rough and I could hear the carb making a popping sound, almost sounds like it started running only on one cylinder.

I thought maybe I had sucked up some water in the motor.
    So pulled the spark plugs, check the compression, all is good.
    When I pulled the back spark plug, I noticed that it was wet "water" so I cranked the motor "with the plugs out" and put my thumb over the plug hole and cranked away.
    that seemed to dry the cylinders pretty good.
    So after that I put new plugs in and started the motor, and it ran a litlle better but not much, something was still not right.

So I thought, maybe I should check the reeds.
    Here is a little background on this to give you a better understanding on my B1 Blaster.

You see when I baught this blaster a month ago it had a Ocean Pro F/A filter on the carb.
    This Ocean Pro F/A has four bolt holes with barrel sleaves that the bolts go threw in between the top and bottom F/A housing, well at the time I was buying the blaster from the seller there were only three bolts holding it on and the seller told me that the fourth bolt would not stay tight so he removed it "As seen in the first and second photos below".

Well after I got home from making the 300+ mile trip to buy this blaster I took it out the next day and road it for about 5 hours, ran great.
    well two days later I had a problem with a water leak somewhere and check the stock sump to see if it was clogged and checking bad hoses etc... so I pulled the battery box and noticed a long bolt laying back by the drain plug in the transom.
    Low and behold it was the missing fourth bolt for the F/A.
    So yesterday after it started running bad I started thinking, "Wait ! I found the missing fourth bolt for the F/A, then where could the missing sleave for that bolt be ?"

So I pulled the plugs, dried it out, put new plugs in and started it, it ran a little better but not as good as it should be running, I am still getting that bogging sound from the carb.
    So about 15 minutes ago, I thought I would pull the reeds and see the condition of them.
    This is where the news gets bad.
    I pulled the intake manifauld to reveal the reed cage.
    Well low and behold guess what I discoverd laying inside the reed cage ? "I found the missing fourth F/A bolt sleave.
    then I'm jumping around all P/Oed cursing at anything and everything.
    Along with the missing bolt sleave laying in the reed cage are three little broken pieces of aluminum "As seen in the third, fourth and fifth photos.
    I can't quit figure out where the broken pieces of aluminum came from, but it appears to be pieces of a piston ?
    But why or how would piston fragments end up in the intake side of the reed cage ? I can't see it being possible, because of suction, unless some one "Seller" purposely put that junk in the carb.

I also noticed that the reed chamber in the back was dirty with a wet/aluminum wear mixture, and the reed chamber in the front was clean.
    The reeds in the back were dirty like the back reed chamber, and the front reeds were clean as shown in the photos #6,7,8,9 and 10 photos.
    The 10th photo shows the rear reeds dirty and the 11th photo shows the front reeds clean.
    The 12th photo shows the wet/aluminum wear mixture.

So here I am all P/Off and coming to the conclusion that my riding time is done tell next summer.
    I'm P/Off at the seller for being dishonost/liar and am left with the conclusion that I should remove the motor for a total rebuild, or buy a new motor.

What would you guys do in this situation ?
    Photos #7,8,9,10,11 and 12 are shown in the second post.

Thanks to any one that can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0010.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	36445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	36446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0006.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	36447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0037.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	36448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0039.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	36449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0012.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	36450  

Last edited by Blasterguy; 09-03-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Question

here are photos #7,8,9,10,11 and 12

Name:	0013.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	36451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0014.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	36452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0022.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	36453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0026.JPG 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	36454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0027.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	36455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wet Aluminum.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	36456  

+1
    Pull the head this will give us more detail to let us help you. I am not sure where the aluminum came from.

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    Pull the head this will give us more detail to let us help you. I am not sure where the aluminum came from.
    Should I pull just the head, or pull the head and the cylinders off too exposing the pistons, rods and crank case ?

Thanks

+1
    Just the head to start with one step at a time. also download one of the manuals for the gp 760 the motor is close to yours and will give a little help.

+1
    I moved this thread into the old school section there is a lot of guys with knowledge of your motor here. BTW welcome to the Hulk!!!

Thank you

I will pull the head in a few minutes and then take a few pics of it and post them

+1
    So you found pieces in the reed cages. Do you think that there were smaller pieces that were actually sucked into the case that you did not see and the cages did not capture?

Looking at the smoothness of the edges of those pieces, it looks like they were rattleing around in your reed cages for a while. One piece, the arrow head shaped piece, has machineing marks.... part of a piston skirt perhaps?

Talk about a bad design. A bolt rattles loose, and the sleve falls into the reed cage?

You at least have to pull the head then go from there.

OK I pulled the head and here is what I seen.

Photos
    #1 Shows both pistons/cylinders.
    My first impression is the front piston/cylinder looks clean with no residue and the front piston looks like it was running hotter than the back.
    As for the rear piston/cylinder, I found that dark grey wet mixture stuff in it.

pic #2 shows the front piston and condition with no apparent cylinder scaring/scratches.

Pic #3 shows the rear piston and condition with no apparent cylinder scaring/scratches, but has the dark grey wet mixture content.

pic#4 shows the front cylinder wall

pic#5 shows the rear cylinder wall

pic#6 shows the head, notice that the dome "Front cylinder" on the left is cleaner than the dome "Rear cylinder" on the right ?

In the next post are pics #7 and 8 showing the close up shot of the head domes.

Name:	0001.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	36472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0005.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	36473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0004.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	36474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0022.JPG 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	36475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0023.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	36476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0006.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	36477  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    So you found pieces in the reed cages. Do you think that there were smaller pieces that were actually sucked into the case that you did not see and the cages did not capture?

Looking at the smoothness of the edges of those pieces, it looks like they were rattleing around in your reed cages for a while. One piece, the arrow head shaped piece, has machineing marks.... part of a piston skirt perhaps?

Talk about a bad design. A bolt rattles loose, and the sleve falls into the reed cage?

You at least have to pull the head then go from there.
    I agree with the piston skirt look of the one now that I look closer at it.

The F/A's are not using the original supplied parts from Ocean Pro. I have had several of these in the past and they use threaded studs. this is someones solution to losing the original pieces.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information