Cavitation on 2003 4 tec

Just Bought this ski about a month ago. Previous owner had the pump rebuilt and the prop rebuilt. Ski cavitates out of the hole only with wide open throttle. At 2/3 rds or less there is no problem also will not cavitate when punching it from about 20mph. I'm just wondering if changing the prop to a high altitude prop will take care of this as I ride at 5000ft and my machine does not have the high altitude prop on it. It has the stock prop and all the shops here reccomend the high altitude prop. Or is it something I need to get rechecked. Thanks Al

you sure the prevous owner did the wear ring?

He said he did and had the receipt but you know how some shops are.

03's eat wear rings for dinner. Regardless of what the owner says, you'll have to measure the distance between the impeller and the wear ring. Anything more than .012 is considered worn and should be replaced. Measure all the way around the wear ring because the '03 pumps are plastic and notorious for uneven wear. I just pulled one last week that had very little wear (.010) on one side and over .040 on the other.
    Learn how to do this yourself (instructions are on this site) you'll save money and time. If you want to do it yourself, either pull the venturi or the intake grate and use a set of long feeler gauges to determine the gap. Then pull out the old ring and flip it over, and give it a test run. Or go buy a new one.

GTXSC03
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering though is mine plastic because my ski is not the SC. It's the 155hp model. Do I still have the plastic pump? Also can a dealer put on an aluminum pump or is that after market. Thanks Al

It's plastic, to the best of my knowledge. You can tell by looking at the surface of the pump. Aluminum has smooth paint and plastic looks, feels and sounds like plastic. I've seen Wakeboard editions with plastic as well. You can go to the dealer and buy a new aluminum pump (approx $700), or go aftermarket($$$), or scrouge around and find a used one( still not cheap).
    To be honest though, if its a 155 and you don't ride the snot out of it, buying a wear ring every year at approx $70 might be the most economical choice in the long run. Learn how to install it yourself, its easy, takes less than an hour and you only need metric wrenches and sockets.
    I don't know much, but I learned it all here.

Bigal52

I have an 03 gtxsc and had your problem exactly, I changed the pump and wear ring last week to a second hand pump from an 04 rxp I needed no other parts exept 4 new bolts from nozzle to pump (old ones too long), the first time out couldn't believe the difference no cavitition and stayed hooked up in the turns, I know you said yours is without sc but sounds exactly the same
    Carl

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar
    Carl, You said the 04 RXP pump fit without any mods???
    I was told by the dealer that it would not as the drive shafts were diferent. I bougt all the parts for the 04 aluminum pump and did the build my self. Added a Solas prop and top loader grate and walah.... PEFECT. problem solved.. To the tune of about $1,000. Speed was worth it all.

Yes, the RXP pump fits. Put a GTX impeller and GTX (155mm) wear ring in it and you don't have to change the driveshaft. If you choose to use an RXP/RXT impeller, you'll need the driveshaft and 158mm wear ring.

Thread Information