When installing a crankshaft...

OK I'm about to install my first crank, got if a few weeks ago with new seals and the threebond 1211. Now I was reading in the manual about some shims of some sort that go back in the same place they came out (clymer is vague sometimes). Problem is I didn't take it apart so I have no idea where the shims are or where they go. Is there a technique for making sure the rods are centered in the cylinders.. is there anything I need to be concerned with or do I just dab a bit of threebond on the cases, stick the crank in and torque the bolts via the sequence working up to the full torque amount.?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLjoyrider View Post
    OK I'm about to install my first crank, got if a few weeks ago with new seals and the threebond 1211. Now I was reading in the manual about some shims of some sort that go back in the same place they came out (clymer is vague sometimes). Problem is I didn't take it apart so I have no idea where the shims are or where they go. Is there a technique for making sure the rods are centered in the cylinders.. is there anything I need to be concerned with or do I just dab a bit of threebond on the cases, stick the crank in and torque the bolts via the sequence working up to the full torque amount.?
    There are no shims for the Fuji crank. Just place it in the case and make sure that the bearing pins are in the slots. apply three bone sparingly to both halves of the case and also to the seal journals.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What he said ^^^^. Also turn the crank by hand frequently to see if there's binding as you torque the bolts as a preventative measure. And a very small bead of 1211 is plenty,as most will squeeze out after tightening it down.

OK sounds fairly straight forward. Thanks guys, I'll get started on it tonight.

Thread Information