Prop too tight???

I have an 07 RXT, ss wear ring solas prop. When I hand tighten the prop it spins freely. When I torq the prop to 95 ft lbs it is hard to turn. Is this normal? Should it spin freely when torqed to specs? Is there a shim or anything that would keep the pressure on the inner race of the bearing?

+1
    it should turn freely after you torque it, unless you have a plastic ring ? i see that you have the ss ring, so i would'nt put it back till you've found the proplem
    Last edited by jetskibill9999; 08-26-2007 at 06:23 PM.

if it`s a stock pump it has a single bearing, is there any bearing play? how many hours on pump? can you pin point where the bind is? is it the blade tips, is it the prop hub? ...PR...

30hrs. on pump....20 hrs. on prop...brand new ss wear ring. Prop blades do not touch the walls of the wear ring? on the plastic one they did. Are the SS wear rings slower due to a larger gap between the prop blades and the wear ring? back to original question of why the prop is hard to turn when torqed, should I try not torqing it to 95 ft lbs? or is there somwthing wrong with the bearing? Does everyone elses spin freely when torqed to 95 ft lbs? Thanks for the help, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ATC2006 View Post
    30hrs. on pump....20 hrs. on prop...brand new ss wear ring. Prop blades do not touch the walls of the wear ring? on the plastic one they did. Are the SS wear rings slower due to a larger gap between the prop blades and the wear ring? back to original question of why the prop is hard to turn when torqed, should I try not torqing it to 95 ft lbs? or is there somwthing wrong with the bearing? Does everyone elses spin freely when torqed to 95 ft lbs? Thanks for the help, Rick
    what is the torque spec?
    try a dif prop and see if it does the same?
    I found the clearances between the blade and SS wear ring to be .09+- on my pump. I think max is .14, you should be no where near that. plastic one`s seem a bit tighter until a few revolutions until the blades cut in...PR...

If ya have changed out the bearing and the prop doesnt spin freely when tightened the bearing has to be beat or pressed farther into the pump..... this is classified the slightest bit will seize the bearings

Thread Information