Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SC Gear Galling

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar

SC Gear Galling

I went to put my green wheel on today and check my slip moment. I had put the metal washers on at 17 hours. Now I have 52 hours.

The slip moment was 62 in-lbs, so I shimmed the stack. It brought it up to 88 in-lbs. One thing I noticed though was that the gear didn't turn smoothly when I put enough force on it to get it to slip. So, I disassembled the clutch pack and pulled the gear and washers off. The washers, the belville springs, and the gear all had what looked like rust all over them. I cleaned them up with wd40 and engine oil, but the gear looks all pitted and galled. Did this thing seriously overheat or something? It looks like the surface overheated and caused the gear to washer mating surface to gall all to hell and back. The washers I'm using are the uncoated ones I bought off of 4-tec performance. They are not pitted nearly as bad as the gear, but they have a little bit of a wear mark in them.

Jerry what do you think? Should I rebuild the whole SC clutch before I put the green wheel in? Or, should I just lightly sand the gear on a flat surface and run it? Here are the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc02438.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	715.8 KB 
ID:	36497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc02437.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	830.1 KB 
ID:	36498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc02439.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	615.6 KB 
ID:	36499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc02440.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	592.3 KB 
ID:	36500  

wow , that looks like slippage...
    I have about 25 hours since my total rebuild with metals, I think I`ll get the season out of it before I remove the SC for inspection.
    What tool did you use to check slip?...PR...

mmm u sure thats not oil starvation,if it had rust on aswell!!
    thats really burnt up

I used the seadoo gear tool and a craftsman in-lb click-type torque wrench. I keep going up until it clicks, and then I go back down. I can get it repeatable within 1 in-lb, but it takes a while. I just block sanded the gear. I'll post some pictures in a few....

Here's a picture of it after I sanded it on a flat surface with 280 grit. It the tolerance works, I'll run the gear and rebuild the whole SC at the end of the season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02443.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36505  
    Last edited by WOT; 08-26-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: retarded typing

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    Here's a picture of it after I sanded it on a flat surface with 280 grit. It the tolerance works, I'll run the gear and rebuild the whole SC at the end of the season.
    Looks good.
    That was not rust you saw it was cooked oil. A fresh set of spring washers and you should be good to go. If the slip moment is not in the ball park with fresh spring washers and a shim, order up new metal washers.

+1
    You did a nice job cleaning up the gear!

I don't know your riding conditions, but that gear shows typical wear on a clutch with 50+ hours on it. Especially if you ride in choppy conditions. Also keep in mind that you will see more wear if your slip moment is low. I usually pull my SC's every 10-15 hours to shim as necessary so my clutch doesn't suffer from undue wear.

BTW, i rebuilt a supercharger today that had metal washers installed 180+ hours ago. The oil grooves in the gear were completely worn off. This is why it's recommended to do a complete rebuild every 100 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    You did a nice job cleaning up the gear!

I don't know your riding conditions, but that gear shows typical wear on a clutch with 50+ hours on it. Especially if you ride in choppy conditions...
    Thanks!

I ride in fairly rough chop. My wifes Ultra 250 with trailer drop mod now pulls ahead of me on the big end (hence the reason why I had to have the green wheel...).

Anyway, when we are out rat racing, I keep it pinned wide open in chop and use my legs as suspension to try to keep the ski hooked as best as possible. If I even so much as let off the throttle one little bit (to try to save the washers, etc), she passes me. Her 250 stays hooked the whole time. I just receive my skegs (thanks Jer), and they will be going on soon as well.

I just put the clutch back together. It is now at 64 in-lbs with the shim in place. Think I ought to run it this way through the end of the season or replace the springs now?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    add another shim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information