Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any cons to boost bleeds?

So I was out at the lake over the weekend when along comes another ski just like mine (so I thought anyway). So, of course, we play a little line-em-up. He walks off from me on top end by more than a good walking speed. (4-5mph maybe?) So, we stop, he offers a chance to start from a dead stop, we do and he pulls me from a stop all the way to top end where, once again, he walks off.
    Needless to say I'm impressed so I pull up and we talk again. He's got a manual boost bleed set-up with two gauges and two bleeders. The actual boost is bled to around 16 but the pressure sensor only sees 12-14 by the other bleed. He mentioned something about a resistor in the air temp sensor to richen the fuel mixture.
    My question is, if it's this simple, there has to be a down-side, right? What could they be? I studied everything he had down to the resistor color code and am very tempted to try it, just don't want to play with fire...
    Btw, it wasn't just my ski having a bad day, my father-in-laws 1300R got walked away from as well...
    Plus, any ideas on the hp with 16psi?
    Last edited by dude; 08-27-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added

+1
    he has no idea what is a/f is by just using the resistor..it might be fine at 80 degrees ambient, then deto at 60. I guess the knock sensor would kick in tho'. Sounds like jim's alpha kit , in which case he's not bleeding the top map sensor and so doesn't have to worry about fuel.

I have one of these on my ski (F-12X) and it made a world of difference over stock. I bought it from superJim. Cost...$150.00. That's why I tried it. I really like it, and have had no problems so far.

Hmm...so I take it this SuperJim sells a kit such as this? It seemed like such a simple set-up by looking at it.
    wilson311; Any idea of the actual gains you made? What boost setting are you running? How high could/have you ran? There HAS to be a down-side, right? Anything dangerous to the motor?

The only down sides that I have noticed so far is that it took me about an hour to "tune" it so it didn't trip the overboost alarm, and that it seems to idle a bit rich now. One other thing for me is that the kit also eliminated the high-speed surging that I was experiencing. I am running the boost at 15 psi. I think you can go higher, but 15 seems ok to me for now anyway. Yes, the kit is simple, but it was worth $150.00 to me just to be able to order everything from one place, and to have had all the engineering already done for me. One change that I did make to the kit was to locate the sensor gauge and the tuning valves in the glovebox. It makes the kit much more user-friendly. I as far as engine damage, I am by no means an expert on these machines, but I think it is safe.
    Wilson

Yep, that's my Alpha kit. Been selling them since 2002. Where were you riding, Dude, when you met up with it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson311 View Post
    The only down sides that I have noticed so far is that it took me about an hour to "tune" it so it didn't trip the overboost alarm, and that it seems to idle a bit rich now. One other thing for me is that the kit also eliminated the high-speed surging that I was experiencing. I am running the boost at 15 psi. I think you can go higher, but 15 seems ok to me for now anyway. Yes, the kit is simple, but it was worth $150.00 to me just to be able to order everything from one place, and to have had all the engineering already done for me. One change that I did make to the kit was to locate the sensor gauge and the tuning valves in the glovebox. It makes the kit much more user-friendly. I as far as engine damage, I am by no means an expert on these machines, but I think it is safe.
    Wilson
    very safe..honda has all the sensors to keep you safe. And now you dont have to worry about the wgs sticking because you're bypassing it.

He was at Jordan Lake just outside of Raleigh. Jim if this was one of your kits sorry but I copied it down to the resistor code. He never said it was someone elses idea (maybe he copied it himself?) Anyway, great kit as it kicked mine up close to 4 mph and the extra pull is amazing! It was, however, a major PITA to get tuned in, but for the dollar to gain value it was well worth it as I can finally now walk my dad-in-laws GP1300R instead of the other way around..

No patent infringment here. Glad you like it. It definately wakes the Honda up and you quickly learn how to tune it when needed.

Can I run a Mac chip with the boost bleed system. If so what kind of gains can be expected. Also I'm still under waranty. Can I remove the boost bleed kit if I need to take it to the dealer for work. Thank you for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information