Jumped wave and GP 1200 died...will not turn over.

I was in the ocean wave jumping and my 2002 gp1200R died when I tail landed. At first I was sure it was electrical, because I got it started after fidgeting with the battery cables; however, it turned over very slow and only ran for about 15 seconds and then died again. Now the ski will not turn over. Sounds like the engine is seized. It clicks, but it sounds like a mechanical click, not an electrical click. I take great care of my ski and I'm wondering if maybe my oiler went bad? I didn't have any warning lights or sounds. Anybody experienced this before? If not, anyone have any advice? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so can I test for a seized engine? Thanks
    Last edited by iam026tb4u; 08-27-2007 at 08:39 AM.

+1
    Check to see if you have oil in your hull on the side under the pipe and carbs. If you have oil there, then you can almost bet an oil line came off. If there is no oil, then you may have another problem. You can also just pull the head and look in the cylinders to see what is going on.
    Just a thought, and I could be way off base, but your problem could also be a broken crank snout. This is the part of the crank that your fly wheel mounts to.

No oil in the hull. Everything looks normal. Since I ride my ski mostly in salt water, my motor gets a light coat of simple green, washed down, dried and then a light coat of WD40. Basically you could eat of my engines. The first thing I checked was for an oil leak. I suppose I could take of the head.

What is the chance of it being the jet pump? And is there a way to manually turn the engine over?

+1
    You can pull the jet pump off and check it by turning the shaft to check your pump bearings. Other than removing your steering nozzle, there is only 4 bolts holding the pump in. You may have to pry on it to get it off. With that out, you can then pull your spark plugs and try turning the motor by hand @ the shaft coupler.
    I forget who, but there is one or 2 members who have the repair manual on line that you can go to and read the sections under each part of the ski you are dealing with. From there, you can get step by step instructions on removing and replacing parts. Do a search for on line repair manuals and you should be able to find them easily.
    What you are doing now is eliminating possible problems, easiest to the hardest to find.
    1 other thing, did you try a fresh battery?

Yes, I tried a fresh battery, and one of the portable starting devices. I'll try turning the motor over at the coupler. If that doesn't work I'll take the jet pump off. I'll also look for the manual online.

Okay, so I was able to get the engine "un-seized"; however, it made an awful racket when it actually started. So, I pulled the head and found the #2 piston is trashed. Looks like a piece of the piston broke off and beat the piston to pieces. My question is this. Can I get by with just rebuilding that one cylinder (piston included), or will this require a total rebuild? Also, since cylinders aren't cheap, what's the opinion on sleeving the original cylinder?

Thanks

Here is a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston#2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1,011.0 KB 
ID:	36579  

+1
    First you need to figure out what caused this. I assume the other cylinders look OK. I am sure there is someone on the forum who can simply look @ this picture and suggest what could have happened.
    You can fix this one piston and cylinder, but depending on the # of hours of your ski, you may want to do more. If you only remove this one cylinder and piston, you run the risk of debris being left in the motor and getting in your crank. As for the cylinder, you can send it off to be reworked by someone like Millennium Industries.

Thread Information