Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage 700 bad running after hard landing

I was riding with my cousin who was on my 02 Virage 700 and we were jumping some pretty big boat waves and he had a hard landing and after that the ski wouldn't start but I did get it started the next morning but I put it back on the water and it acted like it was starving for fuel. The ski did stay upright. Is there anything that a hard landing would normally cause this? I checked all the fuel lines for cracks or clogging. I had the carb apart thinking the fuel pump had a problem but everything looked fine. I believe that my battery is bad or weak but I wouldn't think that would cause it to act like it was short on fuel. Could a weak battery cause this? Thanks for any help as I'd like to have this running before this coming weekend. BTW, this ski ran perfect until the hard landing.

Are there any warnings on the MFD?

I hit a big wave on mine once and the MFD went blank, putting the ski into limp mode.

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    Are there any warnings on the MFD?

I hit a big wave on mine once and the MFD went blank, putting the ski into limp mode.
    No warnings at all. When I unloaded it it ran normal for about 2 minutes and then it acted like it just ran out of fuel. It would start and run for 30 seconds or so but never ran correctly. Towed it back to shore and loaded it up and got it started on the trailer but it took a while to get it to run normally on the trailer. Fuel/water separator does not fill completely with fuel.

I would look into the fuel tank to see if the pick up has come loose or something.

Also check the pulse line to see if it is still connected properly, if you haven't already.

There is a manual for this ski it the Tech Section if you need it.

Let us know what you find.

I would look into the fuel tank to see if the pick up has come loose or something.

Also check the pulse line to see if it is still connected properly, if you haven't already.

There is a manual for this ski it the Tech Section if you need it.

I can suck gas through the line that hooks to the carb. so the pick up must still be in tact. I also checked the pulse line and it seems to be OK but it was a little loose on the engine but I doubt it was leaking. I've ordered a carb. kit and I'll get a new battery but I still feel like I'm over looking something. I'm also thinking about the flywheel key or crank twisting but if it was that I don't think it would have ever run normal after the incident and again it ran normal for a couple of minutes after I put it on the water yesterday. I was an auto tech for 15+ years and the symptoms act just like a car running out of fuel.

I think I was on the wrong path with the fuel problem. I put a timing light on it today and when I first start cranking the timing light will flash about 15 times and then quit. I started following the ignition coil test and I believe the coil may be bad. The book calls for 1200-1600 resistance between the two plug wire terminals on the coil and I have around 3000. Do you agree that my coil is bad or is 3000 ohms resistance acceptable?

Check your battery voltage with a volt meter while cranking. The CDI requires 10+ volt to fire properly.

I had a problem with my Virage once and when I tested the coil, I remember it didn't test out to the specs in the manual but it wasn't the problem.

Not saying yours isn't bad, but it might be a good idea to look a little further.

Battery voltage is fine. I just ordered the coil. I sure hope that fixes it or I'm not going to be very happy that I wasted $75.00!

Let us know if that fixes the problem or not.

Let us know if that fixes the problem or not.
    I will. If it don't can you bring your's over and we'll figure out how to make yours not run and then I'll know what makes mine run???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information