Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Advanced Cam Timing

I was going through the speed mod database and noticed that some of the faster people had said they advanced the cam timing.

My question is, how much advance before you run into trouble?

+1
    advance in small increments to get max psi (I think around 140psi), and I don't believe the slots in the cam gear will let you go far enough to muff anything up. They only give a few degrees adjustment. DO NOT ADVANCE BY MOVING CHAIN ON SPROCKET.... The intake valves chase the piston, if advanced even 1 tooth, the intake will catch the piston.....u have been warned...

cool

how many people have tried this? and how much of gain can be seen?

+1
    doesnt the center rail and rocker arms have to be removed from the head to do a compression test so the valves arent opening and closing or am i WAY OFF here?

+1
    Advancing the cam on a four cycle engine increases low end power. Retarding the cam increase high end power. In most instances advancing or retarding is usually done from one to four degrees. Compression test should always be done when engine is up to operating temp and the throttle wide open. (with the spark plugs removed of course)

+1
    yeah but do u have to have the rocker arms off to do the compression test so it builds pressure in the cylinder or not because my gauge just pops back and forth from 0 to 30 psi as it turns over NEVER building pressure and i cant figure out what im doing wrong.

reid,
    check your gauge's hose for cracks. also check the valve core to make sure its working properly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    yeah but do u have to have the rocker arms off to do the compression test so it builds pressure in the cylinder or not because my gauge just pops back and forth from 0 to 30 psi as it turns over NEVER building pressure and i cant figure out what im doing wrong.
    Dude, leave the rockers on...........u ain't gettin' jack w/o them, no valves, no air pumped. Sundance is correct of course, but, if advancing or retarding the cam raises the cyl. pressure, overall power under the peak power will be greater(squeezing the mixture harder=bigger boom )

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    you have no schrader valve on your compression gauge kit.. so it's not compressing air into the gauge and maintaining/storing the pressure.

for compression, just remove the plugs..

for a leak down test, remove the rocker shaft

compression check u need a schrader valve in the hose... for leakdown you don't use the schrader valve since now your pushing air into the cylinder, not squeezing it out

+1
    im pretty sure i tried taking ALL plugs out putting compression line in one cylinder putting gauge on line holding open the throttle turning the engine over and the gauge popping back and forth from 0 to 20 psi and thats it! is this the wrong or right way to do it???????????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information