Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seized carbs?

Moderated

Seized carbs?

whats involved in fixing seized carbi's?

i put my 1200r in today for service and they called tro tell me the carbi's are seized, can someone explain to me what this means and what is involved in fixing it.

also how can i stop this sort of thing happenening again?

yes i know, i can not spell.

update: got a call them with the pricing for repairs. they quoted about 1400 to fix them, they claim the screws are siezed in and have to be machined out and it needs new gaskets and needles etc..

it sounds a bit suspect to me, what do you guys rekon?
    Last edited by izz0; 08-28-2007 at 01:56 AM.

I had the same problem- siezed Low-speed adjuster screws. They face upwards and collect the salt water,then sieze into the carb body. One dealer told me it was going to be a set of 3 new carbs! I had a couple of engineers look at the job, and both said 'NO WAY' to drilling and re-tapping.I posted on Greenhulk, got a complete rack of 3 reconditioned carbs for a VERY good price, shipped from the USA in 2 weeks (especially when 1 new carb in UK would have been £650 GBP, and I needed 3!), fitted them myself in 4 hours, and never went near a dealer workshop again! It's great doing the job yourself, and no nagging doubt about it's been 'botched' by a cowboy! I've just done the same thing with a drive shaft replacement, and reckon I've saved near on £1000 on parts and labour, compared to our local Yammi shop! You'll learn as you go, and the guys on here are fantastic at giving good advice. Tools for most jobs are regular toolbox items (good spanners,sockets,grips,and good drivers), and nothing is really hard to get to, once the exhaust is out of the way! Workshops over here in Uk work on the , "If you can't blind 'em with science,baffle 'em with bulls###" principle! I don't fall for it, but lots of suckers do! Download a manual from the link on this site, and see for yourself what's involved.
    Last edited by pauladave; 08-28-2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: innacurate

+1
    I just did my set that were waterlogged. I had to drill out three on the metering block screws and install helicoils beadblast the carbs inside and out re tap one of the low screws. It is not a fun job but I have the resources to do the machining. Now they look.

Izzo who is doing the works jet1,stoney creek or jetworks,

Moderated
    Jo

Stoney creek, i feel they bent me over on this one....i get the impression billy has taken advantage of me.

Moderated
    well now i have a second ski, this is the last time i take my ski's to a shop if possible

I will pull the 1200 down after i put 30 odd hours on it after i get it back from this service and start the real learning process.

You guys are right, it is better to do it yourself, i am slowly buying the tools i need and will start mucking about very soon. guess a good starting point for me will be doing the pump tunnel reinforcement upgrade on both of my baby's. I feel this will be a good starting point to get to know my ski's.

anyway i didnt have time to muck about with the service and just told them to go ahead but i will never go back there for work.

For the record Jo when i spoke to the guy you know at JW he said it sounded like the top end needed a rebuild and yet when i took it to SC they pulled it apart and said the carbs were seized...

i did take your advice and give JW a call but did not go ahead with any work there at this point and after he quoted me 1500 for a top end rebuild which it turns out it didnt even need a i am a bit hesitant to go there for anything.

I will continue to buy my after market parts online from the US etc.. and just learn the same way everyone else here has, the only way.

+1
    Dont know the money conversion rate between here and there, but 1400 sounds like a HUGE ripoff. You can pick up a good set of used carbs for a few hundred dollars and rebuild them yourself for maybe another hundred.

Moderated
    $570 for machining costs alone to get the stuck screws out.

when i get it back i will post the receipt so you can see what they charged me for and then i will be able tyo work out what the work done is really worth.

we get ripped off here for ski's but i suspect this place has gone too far.
    Last edited by izz0; 08-29-2007 at 10:17 AM.

izzo my friend you havent even started to spend money,in future you should ask around for parts prior to getting works done,you could have got a good set of Novi carbs from me for $1000 AU,message me next time first i have plenty of contacts

Moderated
    arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information