Ultra 250 X Questions???

I was wondering if someone could help me on some situations. I bought a Kawasaki Ultra 250X in February 2007 and it runs fine but:

Problem 1 - I have a top speed of 70 mph (according to the dash) but now I am lucky to get 60. I babied it during the break in period of 5 hours(my first PWC) and varied the throttle as prescribed by the manual. It now has approximately 14 hours and have not done any service yet. Is there anything I should do to return the performance?

Problem 2 - When sitting in the garage, I loose gas. I pulled it out of the water with three bars of gas and after sitting for three weeks, I am on empty. It did this also when I brought it home from the dealer. It had three bars of gas when received from dealer and was empty after sitting for two months (had never been started by me for that time) while waiting for warm temps to run. Is this common or something in connection with the Fuel Line Recall or the gas in oil problem everyone is talking about?

Problem 3 - I have read a lot about the fuel in oil situation within this forum. I have checked my oil and it seemed fine but I was not looking for gas within the oil. How do I determine if gas is indeed in the oil? If so, what solutions are available?

* I spoke to my dealer in regards to the gas problem and said it should not be doing that. They seemed clueless as to the cause.

* I spoke with a Kawasaki rep and said it was probably the float sticking or sinking and was not a problem. They also said the reduced performace was normal that the machine is only rated to do about 60 mph.

Any input or info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigredinohio View Post

Problem 1 - I have a top speed of 70 mph (according to the dash) but now I am lucky to get 60. I babied it during the break in period of 5 hours(my first PWC) and varied the throttle as prescribed by the manual. It now has approximately 14 hours and have not done any service yet. Is there anything I should do to return the performance?
    This could be due to oil in the intercooler. From the factory many if not all of us had way too much oil in the ski. This will allow a greater amount of oil to blow out of the crankcase and into the intake and is being blown into the intercooler. Everyone would recommend you pull out your intercooler and clean it out.

Problem 2 - When sitting in the garage, I loose gas. I pulled it out of the water with three bars of gas and after sitting for three weeks, I am on empty. It did this also when I brought it home from the dealer. It had three bars of gas when received from dealer and was empty after sitting for two months (had never been started by me for that time) while waiting for warm temps to run. Is this common or something in connection with the Fuel Line Recall or the gas in oil problem everyone is talking about?
    This could be due to your trailer not being level when in your garage and the fuel is sitting forward in the tank causing the sending unit to show a lower fuel level. Try proping the trailer up in the front to level the engine of the jetski. Let it sit for a few minutes and turn the ski on to check the fuel level. This is probably nothing of concern, but you should still have the recalled fuel line checked at the fuel rail.

Problem 3 - I have read a lot about the fuel in oil situation within this forum. I have checked my oil and it seemed fine but I was not looking for gas within the oil. How do I determine if gas is indeed in the oil? If so, what solutions are available?
    You will know if there is gas in the oil by smelling it and if the oil level rises after running it hard for a few hours. The smell of gas will overpower the smell of the oil. It won't take much gas in the oil for you to be able to smell it.

Welcome aboard the forum, enjoy the reading, lots of good info posted on here.

Dave

All the problems you describe are common and probably not major. As Arcolog suggested, do some reading by searching this sight and you will find the answers to your questions I'm sure! 60 is too slow even in the heat but as you will read, the stock speedometer is not reliable. You will need to use a GPS to use speed as a reliable indicator of performance.

SeaDoocer
    They told you the "machine is only rated to do 60"? What!!!!!

Sounds fishy to me...

Thanks for all the information. I am new to all of this and since I received the recall notice last week, I have been trying to do some research. I talked to some guy from Kawasaki who actually referred me to greenhulk.net since he really did not know any answers to my questions. I am so glad he did because I had no idea of all of the problems going on, especially the gas in oil situation.

As to the lost of gas, I usually crank the trailer most of the way up to drain any excess water out of the craft after each use. I didn't know if I was cranking it up too far and causing gas to leak out, etc. but even when its level or hook up to the vehicle, the gas is still gone. I can prove that by the gas receipts. I guess the best way to describe the situation is that the gas is evaporating since I can't find any visible signs within the craft. As I said earlier, I didn't check the oil so that is the first thing on my list this weekend.

The other question I have is with oil inside the intercooler, could this do serious harm to the engine?

Once again, thanks for everyone's help and imput.

Yeah, straight from Kawasaki themselves (not the dealer). I called 1-866-802-9381 number on the recall letter and the guy told me that 60 mph was the average. He told me that speedo's are usually inaccurate anyways and if I wanted to double check anything, to check to make sure the speedo was properly aligned within specs (I'm sure he said 4mm). The guy seemed fairly evasive to all my questions. It now makes me wonder if he didn't already know about all the problems that have been mentioned in here!

As to the dealer, they seem to be "deer-in-the-headlights."

Talk about FISHY!!!

put a set of spark plugs in it ! one fouled plug they run about 58 to 60.

Just wanted to update everyone on this situation. I do have the "recall defect" which is dripping gas into the hull. I am assuming this problem has existed since I picked it up from the dealer since I noticed my fuel gauge was indicating less gas each time I would check it without even running it. I haven't ran it since July 28th when I pulled it out with 3 bars and now on empty.

Also, I checked my oil without even running it and smelled like a gas can. Oil level was up to the bend on the dipstick. Most definitely too high which makes me believe I have oil in the intercooler. I am not as gifted as some in here so I am taking it back to the dealer to fix.

With all luck, they will fix the problems under warrenty but not holding my breath. Will also have them check the plugs too.

Thanks for everyone's input and help.

SeaDoocer
    Wow! Glad you found the source of your fuel leak...that could have been like the picture that YoYamma just posted...i.e. Kabooommmm!

Let us know what your dealer says about how Kawi plans to go about warrantying the gas-in-oil problem. Hope everything works out.

Thread Information