Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

beach house sponsons.. best setting? (ultra 150)

Okay, just got a new (to me) set of beach house sponsons (the black ones). They are installed and all, but I was wondering which is the best setting to not loose any top speed, but still get a little better tracking and turning? I know alot of you guys use these, so I'm curious as to what your settings are and what you've experienced.

Thanks in advance,
    Jared

Up and back is the least aggressive, start there and get used to them. Mine threw me the first time I tried them. Did a ragdoll at 66... ouch. Down and forward is most aggressive and will probably scub a little speed.
    Last edited by btldigger; 08-28-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Up and back is the least aggressive, start there and get used to them. Mine threw me the first time I tried them. Did a ragdoll at 66... ouch. Down and forward is most aggressive and will probably scub a little speed.
    I'm confused... so forward (more towards the front of the ski) is more aggressive? I would have thought that back (towards the rear of the ski) would be most aggressive as it's in the water all the time when the front is up in the air? Can you elaborate? I think I have the "up" part, just use the set of holes on the sponson that is closed to the bottom, right?

Thanks in advance for the clarification,
    Jared

I also wanted to point out that my sponsons are much shorter then the mounting plates.. Is this the way the ultra beach house versions are supposed to be? So in other words, if I go forward (front of boat) all the way there is about 7 inches of exposed mounting plate towards the back of the ski and vice versa if I go for a backwards mounted route...

Edit: I have attached a picture... see how I have them set now? That seems feasobly the best setting "to me" for the best top speed while still "ok" or "better then stock" turns. Is that correct or do I have it all wrong (like usual )

Should I move them opposite my current position, and do I have the "up and down" part correct?
    Last edited by jcc011185; 08-28-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Well for some damn reason I couldn't repost a picture in the previous post.. so here it is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2819.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	36704  

Here is a pic of mine and the instruction sheet. Pay attention to the warnings they arent kidding

Name:	DSC01735.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	36731  
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    These are where I keep mine for the most part.

Name:	stuff 012.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	36755  

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    These are where I keep mine for the most part.
    Thesepaperwings, that is the setting I had when I tested the sponsons. I noted no speed loss as far as I could tell.. and turning was awesome but I just wondered if there was better adjustment.. but again this puzzles me... doesn't having the sponson far back like that push up on the rear of the ski, thus pushing down on the front.. and ultimatly slowing down the ski? one would think that they be positioned opposite. But I have yet to read bltdigger's pdf yet and I'm going to read that now. BTW bltdigger, is that a rear saddlebag I see? I was looking at getting one of overton's rear cooler bags, for some additional storage, just wondering!

Jared

Ok, so yeah still confused... I read the pdf.. mentions sponson upper and lower holes, and front and back holes on the mounting plates, but does not address the issue of the sponson itself only taking up three sets of holes when there are 4 on the mounting plates... what? Take a look at my picture, what kind of performance can I expect with how they are set now? It seems as though most of you have your's set far back, which is what is confusing me.

The turning with yours set like that will be verry aggressive. When they are up and back they arent as aggressive. one way to put it with yours if you think about turning you just did wheter you really wanted to or not. The settings are really based on personal preference and ridding style. You might loose some speed with some settings but probably not much. Yes that is a saddlebag there is one on the other side too. Got mine from west marine they come in pairs hold about 8 cans plus ice.
    Last edited by btldigger; 08-29-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information