Jared of Oklahoma

Help me w/ a 89 500cc Waverunner

I am buying a 1989 Waverunner w/a 500cc motor as an inexpensive second ski. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the most power out of this ski without spending alot of cash?? I mainly just want to use it for teaching my 7 year old daughter and 4 year old son how to enjoy the lake. and pull them around on a tube. also this ski will be used for friends to ride as well.

Jared

+1
    Welcome to the Forum. I moved this to the Old school section. I think you will get more visibility here. I have not worked on these but I know a few of the tuners here have and will jump in with some advice.

Jared of Oklahoma
    thanks I appreciate it, Im fairly new at this so any help I can get is appreciated.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    maybe look into a rideplate.. and i dont no if jim does it, but call and see if jim will mod your rideplate. search members Jim 1300 i believe it is. or in the tuners... jims section.! goood luck good to start them at a young age.. i started at 3...

go to this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24813

ALSO ....this was a bit my THREAD in reguards to the search for more WR stuff and what I found...

WR500 Parts -any left to find?
    Yes Yes I know ... anyway I have been building these up since before the forum here and haunted RIVA for a year or two..
    Was looking the other day,on ebay ... typed in waverunner and scan'd the auctions looking for performance parts..
    My question ...Is there any other's for the WR500 I haven't got ??

PROTEC NOZZEL
    PROTEC CDI LIMITER
    PROTEC SS PIPE
    DG WATER BOX
    JETWORKS VALVE WITH LIMITER VALVE(still not installed)
    ELECTRIC BILDGE PUMP
    BOYSENS REEDS(updated#)
    INTAKE GRATES AND PLATES (all kinds..)
    SOLAS SS IMPELLER
    LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL(yami/protec)
    HOT PRODUCTS CONE EXTENDER
    PROK QUICK FIT f/a
    MIKUNI PRIMER
    MIKUNI SBN-R(650)
    MILLED HEAD (.030 stocker)......

.................................................. ..........

There are lots of things to add to a wr, its just finding them will be a problm. I'd go with an aftermarket f/a...look for a better than o/e grate, or just cut out the center bar and then smooth/true out the bottom, as the old wr could be pretty rough by now...find a good finned plate as the wr need's help to resist sliding out as much as possible,especially pulling a tube...find an impeller on ebay,get a SS (stainless steel) not the o/e (aluminum) stocker unless its a later model o/e SS... you could mill the head for a little boost..

NOTE...if you wish to pull a tube ,you will need one with a bottom panel, as the wr will be overworked with an open one ...
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 08-30-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Jared of Oklahoma
    thanks w/rpm500 , sounds like maybe this is a good old ski to buy. I am heading to Tulsa this morning to pick it up. The mods suggested sound like great ideas. I cannot wait to see the difference. I plan to keep a log book of what changes I make and post them here. If anything I should have quite an education this winter. first thing I plan to do is port and polish the head and get my ride plate modded by Jim or just get a new one. Then the next thing I plan to do after that is get the stainless impellor. Thanks again for your wisdom.

Jared Jones of OKC

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    I think it's great that you want to make some tweaks to your old ride. The old 500s are slow and don't have much street cred (er, "beach cred?") but they are hella strong, kinda like an old Diamond Rio truck. That said, I would restrict your improvements to handling and cosmetic mods. There are serious roadblocks to increasing the power of a Yamaha 500; the motor is not very modifiable, and the pump is worse. The engine is basically Yamaha's old 30-horse outboard powerhead turned on it's side, and the exhaust passages are cast into the motor. There's not much that can be done to increase the motor's output with that convoluted exhaust path, and you can't bolt up an aftermarket pipe. You can put a 650 motor, but the "133mm" pump (nominal dia. - 113 actual) is tiny and cavitates easily. When Yamaha did hook a 650 to the 133 pump (WR650LX), they deliberately detuned the engine with a smaller carb to keep within the pump's capability.

the 500 does have a pipe ( tell carl brown at protec they didn't make one ).. and it's a bioch to put on, add the TD waterbox, its gives the ski has better power band ....true the pump is small, its more of a speed pump rather than a brute power pump ( it does cavitate with power, and could be set up better than o/e was....,Hey, it spinning does give that little motor a chance to spool up , add protech's limiter) .. as per your power thought, its rated a 30,but as with most early outboards, this was built/spect'd way on the safe side, it can be boosted with the right porting, smoothing and thought's to details... its still a light ski as two seater's go and a fun little ski to make a sleeper out of ....

Dont expect a 50 mph ski (with the 500 hull,with enginuity(sp)you can be packin' in a 701) but if you want a ski that will last for freak'n ever and can be abused the shiot out of... get a WR500 and do some lite mods to it.

It won't get there the fastest .. but it will get YOU there... my 2 cents
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 09-01-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Information