Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new solas impeller... doesnt fit?

A couple months ago I got a new 12/18 from carl @ islandracing ... I just got around to installing it today and it doesn't fit. The edges of it touch my housing and it won't spin freely.

I put my stock one back on and it's fine.

What gives?

+1
    You probably need a new liner

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    A couple months ago I got a new 12/18 from carl @ islandracing ... I just got around to installing it today and it doesn't fit. The edges of it touch my housing and it won't spin freely.

I put my stock one back on and it's fine.

What gives?
    Just take a small metal file and file up and down the way the prop goes from leading to trailing edge. More then likely it will be the last several inches of the prop sometimes the first couple of inches also. When you start taking some of the material off stick a flash light in where the intake grate goes and you will be able to tell where the prop is hitting and how much more you need to take off from the light shinning threw

+1
    Post a pic of your liner. I stole these from cajundudes site. This is what you dont want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liner1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	36791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liner2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	36792  

Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Post a pic of your liner. I stole these from cajundudes site. This is what you dont want.
    He said when he put the old prop in everything was good I don't think he has a liner problem (could be wrong please check) But when props come back from the shops sometimes they are not fitted correctly into the wearing I have gotten several props in the past I had to make fit myself

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRPITMAN View Post
    He said when he put the old prop in everything was good I don't think he has a liner problem (could be wrong please check) But when props come back from the shops sometimes they are not fitted correctly into the wearing I have gotten several props in the past I had to make fit myself
    When the liner "warps" the prop WILL make its own clearance. This is probably why the old prop is fine and the new one doesnt fit. Just my .02

I think they all rub a little on the liner at first......if its not too bad i would put it on and turn it on so it could wear out the liner a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    When the liner "warps" the prop WILL make its own clearance. This is probably why the old prop is fine and the new one doesnt fit. Just my .02

If that liner is warped when you pull the old shaft out you should absolutely see the marks in the wear ring. And when you pull props out I hope everybody takes a good look at there wearing to make sure there are no abnormal grooves.

And do not just put the prop in without checking the clearance with a flashlight threw the backside. I would not just put a prop in and let it rub on the wearing and make a goove so it sets. This is the proper way to do this inspect your wearing if it looks ok take a file and file down the outer edge of the prop. If you can't do it send it back to carl he will do it for you with out any problems I am sure

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRPITMAN View Post
    If that liner is warped when you pull the old shaft out you should absolutely see the marks in the wear ring. True And when you pull props out I hope everybody takes a good look at there wearing to make sure there are no abnormal grooves. True

And do not just put the prop in without checking the clearance with a flashlight threw the backside. True I would not just put a prop in and let it rub on the wearing and make a goove so it sets. Unless you are running a plastic wear ring This is the proper way to do this inspect your wearing if it looks ok take a file and file down the outer edge of the prop. True If you can't do it send it back to carl he will do it for you with out any problems I am sure True
    Good post. I am just too tired to get into that much detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    Good post. I am just too tired to get into that much detail.
    I just ate a bunch of m&m's so I am wired

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information