Extra Outerwears Material on Riva Rear intake ideas??!??

I am tired of moisture getting into my rear intake when I ride. It's fine 90% of the time, but it sucks in a little everytime I do a good 180*. Then the thing runs like crap for a couple minutes.

Does anyone have any pics/ideas about putting another layer of outerwears material on/in the riva rear tube? Could I just buy the material and stretch/attach it to the outside of the Riva pre-filter piece?

Quote Originally Posted by NoMo-xp4me View Post
    I am tired of moisture getting into my rear intake when I ride. It's fine 90% of the time, but it sucks in a little everytime I do a good 180*. Then the thing runs like crap for a couple minutes.

Does anyone have any pics/ideas about putting another layer of outerwears material on/in the riva rear tube? Could I just buy the material and stretch/attach it to the outside of the Riva pre-filter piece?
    You can by the material my itself, just call Outwears and they can take care of you. I'm not sure if a 2nd layer would be too restrictive. You might just have to try it. It should keep more water out but remember when water hits the fabric it is getting sucked through it by the SC. It's not like a passive filter just shedding water. Not sure if it would still just suck the water right through.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    You can by the material my itself, just call Outwears and they can take care of you. I'm not sure if a 2nd layer would be too restrictive. You might just have to try it. It should keep more water out but remember when water hits the fabric it is getting sucked through it by the SC. It's not like a passive filter just shedding water. Not sure if it would still just suck the water right through.
    I was on their site---I may call them and get something made up. I was thinking of replacing the bolts that attach the Riva pre-filter with studs and attaching the 2nd filter to that.

Does the water pass right through a K&N filter as well?

I was on their site---I may call them and get something made up. I was thinking of replacing the bolts that attach the Riva pre-filter with studs and attaching the 2nd filter to that.

Does the water pass right through a K&N filter as well?
    Yes, water will pass through the K&N also. I was having water injestion when I had my intake in the rear so I moved it up front. My friend has had no water injestion problem, go figure.

You have to call them for the bulk material. I think I bought an 18 x 24 piece for about $23. They also can make any custom size you might want.

+1
    I bought a few 12x12" sections for around 15.00 each from outerwears.com.
    spray scotch guard on the outerwears to help the water bead off even more. .

Hehehheheh, "bead off", heheheheheh

Thats a free tip.

+1
    I spray about every 5-6 hrs or 2-3 rides. Granted I don't get as much water up front like you do back there but it can only help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake 034.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36796  

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I spray about every 5-6 hrs or 2-3 rides. Granted I don't get as much water up front like you do back there but it can only help.

Thanks for the tip. I think I may try to make a small "cage" over the top of the Riva pre-filter and stretch the material around it.

Thanks for the tip. I think I may try to make a small "cage" over the top of the Riva pre-filter and stretch the material around it.
    Thats a good idea. The way the rear intake piece is angled, it is a ledge for water to sit on. And of course with the big Hoover on the engine, it gets sucked in.

Thread Information