Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sucked up a rock, RPMs no speed

Did something really stupid. It was like freaking slow motion and all the warning signs were going off but it happened.

I heard the chunking and clunk and shut down right away.

When restarted a couple minutes later (I was busy kicking my own ass) no clunking. I thought I was in the clear.

When the throttle is applied all I get is RPMs and cavitation.

Wear ring and impeller?

Thanks
    Scott

+1
    you'll have to pull the pump off i'm afraid, and renew the wear ring, and check the prop

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!

Thanks. the worst thing is the dealer is going ot have to do it due to my schedule.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 08-29-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Been there, done that, sorry to hear it. It all depends if it chewed up the impeller how bad it will be. Most likely, the ring is gone. Have them look over the rest of the pump or call you when they have it off so you can look it over. If you could find the time, it is a great way to learn how to pull the pump and do the wear ring. It's how I learned.

Sounds Exactly Like What Happened To Me Other Than It Was A Tree Branch Floating Under The Water. Spun The Prop Off And Ripped The Wear Ring Up. I Put In A Stainless Wear Ring And A New Prop. Quite Easy To Replace. Look Up Posts And You Will Learn Some Tricks To Make The Parts Replacement Go Easy.

+1
    Pull the pump yourself, it only takes 15 minutes, super easy. Once you have the pump off the fun part starts picking out the rock. If you take it to the dealer you will kicking yourself afterwards when you get the bill.

ya that happened to me but by pure stupidity i tried powering it off the trailer during low tide, due to the fact of being a previou boat owner a 1st time jet ski owner, but i learned not to power it off ever again, cuz $1300 and two months later i finally got my ski back, if you can do it yourself i highly recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Bundy_04 View Post
    ya that happened to me but by pure stupidity i tried powering it off the trailer during low tide, due to the fact of being a previou boat owner a 1st time jet ski owner, but i learned not to power it off ever again, cuz $1300 and two months later i finally got my ski back, if you can do it yourself i highly recomend it.
    Hi T
    You must have missed my opening sentence. My was thru stupidity as well.

I am thinking I will be tacling this myself. Hope I don't F' it up

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    when you get the pump off look for the little sharks fins or teeth looking things in the pump tunnel if any are chewed up then you have to file or grind them all down flush with the tunnel to get rid of cavitation. also look for damage to the pump fins if damaged Impros can fix them, they also cause cavitation

Learned this one the hard way as well.

Just do the stuff yourself. If all you have to replace is the wear ring, you might be able to actually just epoxy and sand it and put it back (so it costs you some epoxy and silicone to reseal everything).

A new impeller will run you $300 or so shipped. Troll the boards, I'm certain there are people selling their stage 1 props on their way to a stage II or a different prop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information