Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Everytime I work on my ski I get more angry

Okay,

My props to Jerry, who was super fast with my shipment of parts to try to get my ski ready for this holiday weekend.

I purchased the sea doo "shaft holder tool" required to swap out the washers. I figured it was cheaper than fedexing my blower to Jerry and having him work on it and fedexing it back. That and I wanted to do it myself and struggle through it/learn how it was done.

1) I am reminded that working on an RXT sucks sweaty monkey balls. The little "how to" guides almost always use an RXP as the example. Well guess what you sawed off mofos.....my RXT doesn't have a removable cowling section in the back. Which makes doing anything a joy. I'm 6' tall, so I'm tall enough to reach over the engine bay and what not, but it gets old having to reach over, in and across to do work while standing on my tippy toes. I picture every other poor bastard who's done this trying to get up on top of the ski and straddle it, only to realize that it's not any better than standing on the side. Surely the service shops must have some sort of method for lowering this to the optimal height (rather than on the trailer).

2) As I struggle through unlatching the rubber superman straps holding the water box (made of the strongest rubber known to man) in order to push it out of the way so I can wretch the supercharger from the engine.....I remind myself that I'm doing all this because Sea Doo can't seem to install a pair of FUGGING WASHERS that don't come apart in the engine. Not a diamond carbide gear or some expensive part that they going cheap would make sense. A pair of stupid ass washers. I even upgraded blower impellers just so taking all this apart wouldn't seem so silly and it's still making me angry.

3) to add insult to injury, I buy this $30 shaft holder tool only to receive it and discover it's some shoddy stamped brass flat tool that's not worth a shit. I removed the impeller nut fine (cause the instructions cleverly told me that the threads were reversed), however I've bent the damned tool 6 times and reshaped it trying to get the nut off the shaft end and actually replace the washers. (that's why I'm typing this, hoping that maybe I'll calm down). It's bad enough I have to go through hours of work just to replace a couple of washers that Sea Doo refuses to engineer properly, but to be sold a piece of crap brass tool that warps is just too much. The washer install instructions don't specify whether or not the other end of the shaft is reverse thread, so I'm stuck wondering as I bend the tool over and over again. (all the while getting more angry).

This kinda stuff is enough to discourage me from being a repeat customer of seadoo. I think the next ski I buy will be kawi or yami simply out of spite to seadoo for creating this dumbass mess with the washer debacle.

+1
    Please tell us that you took the cross member off that has the seat hold downs on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_0478.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	36810  

Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    Please tell us that you took the cross member off that has the seat hold downs on it?
    yes

You need to heat up the nut with a little propane torch. Then the POS wrench will work without bending. I know you are angry right now, but when you get it running and you can beat on it senseless without worry, you will feel great! You can do iiiit!

+1
    That's why I don't wrench. If you want a problem-free machine think twice about the Kawi...

+1
    I feel your anger, your thread brought back some wonderful memories of my SC upgrade on my RXT. I spent 15 minutes installing the SC and 2 hrs putting the f**king rubber strap back on because fat fingers suck a**, and another 2 hrs pulling out the fiberglass splinters.

+1
    use small vice grips on the metal ring on the hull side of the reubber strap. Its pretty easy to get off, and only a little tougher to put back on.

The nut on the end of the shaft that you have to remove to replace the washers is a normal left=loose.

The wrench is weak. I ground a 1" wrench down narrow enough to fit in that little space. Its a 25 or 26 mm , and 1" fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    I feel your anger, your thread brought back some wonderful memories of my SC upgrade on my RXT. I spent 15 minutes installing the SC and 2 hrs putting the f**king rubber strap back on because fat fingers suck a**, and another 2 hrs pulling out the fiberglass splinters.
    Why and I starting to fear this upgrade.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Why and I starting to fear this upgrade.
    It scared the chit out of me too, thinking I was messing with something that turned 48K RPM. But once you get going, its pretty straight forward.

remove
    4 bolts and crossmember/vent hose
    2 rubber hoses to S/C
    1 exhaust clamp and hose and strap
    3 bolts holding the S/C in

Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    use small vice grips on the metal ring on the hull side of the reubber strap. Its pretty easy to get off, and only a little tougher to put back on.
    You don't even have to take the rubber strap off the waterbox. Just undo the jpipe at the manifold and slide the whole thing to the rear of the ski. Quick and simple.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information