+1

2001 GTX RFI....oil leak?

Heres the story, boat was tipped up on tariler to empty the water out and be put away for a couple weeks, but it hadn't been driven in a week prior to this. It get tipped up and oil comes pouring out of the two drain holes, along with some water.

I am going back up in a couple days (Friday actually) and would like some guidance on what to look for. is there gear oil in these machines?...or would it only be motor oil...

TYIA

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    it's most likely the oil tank itself. it's a two peice design that's sandwiched together. they are notorious for leaking at the seam. Run your finger along that seam and see if there's oil present. the confirmation will come if you fill it completely and it stops leaking at or just below the seam, leaving you with a half a tank of oil. If the tank drains completely, it could be any of the hoses or filter between the tank and the motor.

my bet is the tank seam though

edit: I forewent the 80 bucks for a new tank and just fill the tank half way (just under the seam). One day when I get a bug up my azz I'm gonna pull the tank and try and epoxy it...

+1
    I have just been informed that the oil tank is still full and the color of the oil was Brownish with a slight orange tint.

How many different types of oil and different location are there in these machines.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    interesting. the only other oil besides the two stroke motor oil is the pump oil. But that would never come out of the drain plugs, plus you would definately smell it leaking. If the tank isn't draining, my next guess, would be that someone overfilled the oil tank and it drained out the check valve or the fill tube.

+1
    Turns out it was the oil tank...I think the actual leak is coming from where the tank is nessled up against the fuel tank. Oh well, half tanks of oil until the end of the season....

Thread Information