Newbe : Oil question Ultra 150

Just picked up my first running Jet Ski and I have a couple questions. What oil do most of you use in an Ultra 150 ? In trying to avoid the #2 syndrome I was going to add some premix to the tank also. My first 150 ('99) toasted #2 in what looks like a lean situation. I bought it blown. I think WalMart Super Tech premix might have been a contributing factor. I was trying to avoid it on my second ('00) 150. It is extremely clean with 62 hours and I would like to keep it that way.
    . Yesterday before purchace was my first ride on a Kawasaki Jet Ski sit down. When ideling the pump ( i think) seems noisy. Almost like they sound dry on the trailer. Is this normal ? The pump was just rebuilt by Kawasaki due to ingesting a tie down strap, I saw the recipts. Any help ,insite, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

+1
    Mike; I have always used Pennsoil 100% Synthetic 2 stroke oil in my 150. Besides using the stock oil injection I premix the oil at 100-1. Just incase the injection fails, the premix could save the engine. The ski hardly smokes with the extra oil and I have yet to foul a plug.

The noise from the pump is normal when run on a hose out of the water. If you hear a whining sound when cruising it might be the pump bearings. Ultras prior to 2004 were notorious for going through pump bearings. My original ones only lasted 22 hours. At idle speed in the water the pump shouldn't sound noisy. Two stroke SD's sometimes sound like they are banging themselves to death at idle, but Kawasaki's don't sound bad. I'd wonder what the pump rebuild consisted of and how well the work was done.

Richard

Noise

I dont know how else to put it other than it sounds the same (as far as the noise) at idle in the water and out. Its like a rattleing sort of sound. I didn't have a compression tester but the ski would get to 62 on the gps pretty quick. I hated to string it out too long to see if it would go any faster. From what I have been reading on the sites it can't be hurt and still get into the 60's. I havent checked what plugs he is using in it.

. Previous owner has been running Mercury TCW3 in it injection only. Should i mix in Pennsoil or try to drain the tank ?? I have NEVER been a fan of mixing differant oils. Mike

What is you ski idling at? If it is too low, it will sound like it is coming apart.

Idle

If the bars are 250 rpm then it idles between 750 and 1000r's. It seems to run fine. I am going to pump out the existing oil in the tank and refill with pennsoil synthetic. I rode it yesterday with the oil it had in it. These 150's accellerate pretty hard for a stock ski ! Mike

I have 2 Ultras, one sounds fine at idle the other sounds like it rattles at idle, turn up the idle just a bit and it will sound better.

Thanks

Thanks SkiBum i'll try turning it up a bit. Mike

Thread Information