Introduction and a question

I'm new to the forum and I have a question. First, the intro. I've been riding now for 6 years. My wife and I bought a pair of í96 Blaster 2s back at the beginning. Theyíve never had a single problem all this time and thatís made me a big Yamaha fan. Two years ago, I got the stand-up bug and bought a í93 SJ. It wasnít maintained very well and I had driveline problems (impeller seizure, pump bearing failure leading to bent mid-shaft and broken motor mounts) which caused me to start learning how to wrench on skis and Iíve come to enjoy it. The last few years Iíve yearned for a GPR and as luck would have it Iíve managed to acquire a pair of 2000 GP1200Rs. Iím hoping these will be as reliable as my Blasters. According to the previous owner, he made the following upgrades.
    Riva pressure-operated power valves
    D-plate
    Cat temp sensor chip
    Pump stuffer (I think he meant pump plug kit)
    Intake grate
    Impeller
    Unfortunately, he couldnít recall the make, type and pitch of the impeller nor could he produce any paperwork to back up the upgrade claims. Still, after selling my Blasters, Iím only out of pocket $3.5K for the pair.
    Now to the question. How can I validate his claims? Would there be any visual evidence without disassembly, particularly the power valves and impeller?
    Thanks in advance. This looks like a very helpful community.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Dan! You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about the GPR platform here.

To answer your questions the Gas valves are easy they can be seen from the top side of the motor (see pic) Right side the billet pieces with the black caps and red adjuster screws.

Look up under your intake grate if your prop has a hex on the out side of the nose it is stock one. other than that you will have to pull the pump most aftermarket impellers are marked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC 229.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	653.3 KB 
ID:	36965  
    Last edited by OsideBill; 08-30-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1

Talking

you, got a killer deal welcome to the forum .

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

Smoken deal on the skis, you can't go wrong there. They are great machines with huge potential.

Best place to start is reinforcing the pump tunnel and upgrading the pump shoe brackets. This is the worst point of failure on these boats. Plenty here already discussing it just use that search key.

Ride safe!

+1
    Welcome Dan..

For the D-Plate and chip have a look @ the center of the pipe if there is a sensor there that plugs into the connector under the battery holder. You dont have a Cat temp sensor chip. If there is nothing running from the middle of the pipe you should be ok.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your answers. I did a bunch of work over the weekend swapping the GPRs on to my current Trail-Rite trailer. I wanted to keep it because it was a better trailer (3K lb axle, brakes, carpeted platform). I got a good look at everything and here's what I found.
    There are no pressure operated valves. Now, in defense of the seller, it's possible he didn't know what I was talking about. He told me about the valve problem and that he got it fixed. I asked if those were pressure operated valves and he said yes. Anyway, I reviewed the waveeater site and removed the covers. I can't tell if the clips were installed. I've attached a photo. I also discovered a frozen trim cable on one of the boats. That will have to be replaced. There is a sensor in the center of the exhaust pipe but it is not plugged in so I'm assuming the D-plate and chip are present. Also, no hex nut at the front of the impeller so it's an aftermarket model. The impeller has a convex leading edge instead of a straight edge like on my Solas-I impeller I have on my SJ. I also performed a compression test on both boats and got 100 psi on all 3 clylinders on one boat, 95 psi on all 3 on the other. So, here's a revised list of upgrades.

Exhaust valve clips (unconfirmed)
    D-plate
    Cat temp sensor chip
    Top loader intake grate
    Aftermarket impeller
    R&D ride plate
    Pump plug kit (unconfirmed)

I'd like opinions on the next upgrade. I've read about the pump tunnel and I plan on doing that in the offseason. I can't seem to find anything about the pump shoe bracket issue. Can anyone point me to the correct thread? Would the waveeater couplers also be advised? How about the Group K air-fuel separator? http://http://www.groupk.com/sep.htm There's some interesting information regarding Yamaha 1200 exhaust valved models on their page.
    Thanks again for everyone's help. This is a great community.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	37421  
    Last edited by AZDan; 09-04-2007 at 02:51 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Dan

Based on what I'm looking at, it is pretty clear to me that the previous owner was not cleaning his valves on a regular basis. It would be wise to clean them so that they operate freely.

Also, I would suggest that you use a fully synthetic 2 stroke oil that burns cleaner. If you did, aside from the better lubrication properties, the valves remain cleaner for a much longer time. Preventative maint. is reduced.

Also, keep in mind that when the engine is shut off with the mechaincal valves, that they will cycle, that is they will open and close 1 time after the engine is shut off. Check for this function.

Well, I got the skis out on the lake this weekend and had mixed results. One ski was fine, fun and fast (at least for me). The speedo topped out at 73 but it was only 61.4 on the GPS. OK for now but I must find more speed. The second didn't get much use. The exhaust temp warning light/buzzer went off after about 5 minutes of riding. I shut things down quickly and returned to shore. The engine and exhaust temperature was just fine. I tried removing the chip and plugging in the sensor and I had the same result. Next, I swapped chips between skis. The ski that ran fine continued to run fine and the bad one still got the warning light after 5 minutes. I've searched the forum for any info on this and while there's a great deal if information, I'm confused as to what to do to resolve the issue. Any suggestions?

Thread Information