+1

2006 yamaha gp1300r need a new connector for inside of my harness...please help

I am not looking forward to ordering a new wiring harness at 600ish bucks. I had my rectifier go on me...and one of the connections that are on the wiring harness had broken off when I removed the connector initially from the old rectifier because it was frozen onto it with corrosion. It is similar to a female spade receiver...theres a clip that holds it into the actual wiring harness connector plastic piece that taps into the rectifier. Does anyone know if autozone would have something like this...or anywhere else for that matter?

I am about to lose my mind and I just want to get this thing running again.

thanks

Mike

+1
    Even if they didnt have the male/female end you may be able to find the same number of connectors and hook it up that way.

+1
    I dont really understand what your getting at...I havent ruled out the idea of just cutting the wire, putting the connector on seperately and pulling it into the harness itself. However I'd have to cut away at the plastic around the edges of the harness which is not cool.

-Mike

+1
    Get the connector out and take it to your local parts store. They might have one. Usually you can get the connectors out with a paperclip or a small very electronics screwdriver.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I am not looking forward to ordering a new wiring harness at 600ish bucks. I had my rectifier go on me...and one of the connections that are on the wiring harness had broken off when I removed the connector initially from the old rectifier because it was frozen onto it with corrosion. It is similar to a female spade receiver...theres a clip that holds it into the actual wiring harness connector plastic piece that taps into the rectifier. Does anyone know if autozone would have something like this...or anywhere else for that matter?

I am about to lose my mind and I just want to get this thing running again.

thanks

Mike

OK, here is what you do. The rectifier has male spade terminals. Go buy some insulated female spades, some butt connectors and some wire about the same gauge as the wires going to the rectifier. Cut the bad connector off, leaving an inch or so of wire on the bad connector so you can see what wire colors go to what terminals on the rectifier.

Now, 1 wire at a time, cut the wire you bought about 2" longer than the bad connector you cut off. Crimp the female spade onto the wire and the butt connector on the other end and join the new wire to the harness. You may have to cut open the harness to join them together, just tape it good when done. Its not that hard to do and you can fix it for 10.00.
    Last edited by Robsauto2; 08-31-2007 at 12:55 AM.

+1
    thats what I am going to do...thanks for the heads up. I didn't want to do it that way but I really have no choice. I am having the worst luck getting this connector off of the wire its fastened/crimped to.

-Mike

+1
    There is a tool to hold those crimpers down. Looks like a small screwriver with a hole down the middle - it presses the metal down so you can slide it right out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    thats what I am going to do...thanks for the heads up. I didn't want to do it that way but I really have no choice. I am having the worst luck getting this connector off of the wire its fastened/crimped to.

-Mike

Yeah its not as good as a new connector, but it will be fine. I looked up that connector and your right, you have to purchase the whole wire loom at a cost of 600.00. That connector is specific to that application and will not be at a auto parts store.

If you really want to make it nice, solder all the connections then seal them with heat shrink tubing, thats how I do all mine.

+1
    I had the same thing happen on my 06 gpr... The rectifier melted and went on fire in the water!... The clip fused itself to the rectifier. Yamaha sells a part that actually says honda on it as a direct plug and crimp replacement for 10 bux! It will save you time and money... Im not at home so I cant check the part number but I will post it some time after 7pm today... The stupid dealer didnt even know it existed... I happen to see it in the book while he was flipping through it... Or maybee he just though he'd be slick and sell me the 650 dollar harness!!!

Thread Information