$18K for Speedster....Good deal??

I found a new (from a dealer) 2007 Speedster 150 (215 hp) with an out-the-door price of $18,000 including the tower, trailer, and full tank of gas. Is this a good deal?

I currently have a 2007 Challenger 180 SE. What is a good asking price, as the dealers want to give me WAAAY less than what I owe, so I have to sell it myself.

Thanks for any replies!

You know you can expect to lose a good $3K on the deal trading an '07 for an '07 (especially trading down). Have you thought about throwing about $2K of mods into the Challenger? Then you'd have a real boat, capable of 55mph (all the 150 will do for you), and able to carry a good amount of people. I really like my 150, it is a good compromise between a jetski and a boat, but there are times when out riding alone, I wish it was a more nimble jetski, and other times I wish I could carry more than a couple of people at a time (because no one wants to sit in the one backwards seat).

$18k is a decent deal for a 150 with a tower (and free tank of gas). With the price of the tower, it means you'd be getting the 150 a little south of $16K.

Thanks for the reply, VX1.

If I could get the Challenger 180 to run around 50 to 52 mph, that would definitely be a consideration! I have read many posts on here with regards to upgrades. What are the best upgrades to make without sacrificing reliability?

Cold air intake?
    Impeller upgrade?

Looks like I would lose around $4k on a trade. And you are right.........if I can get some real upgrades for $2k.........that would definitely be the route to take.

Assuming you're running about 48mph now (or should after break-in):

1) A good homemade 4" air intake and filling the rideplate holes could get you +1 mph for about $60 to $80.

2) You've got to get those ceramic washer out of the SC, whether it's the 180 or 150. When you get Jerry to change them, have him either throw in his green, or the RR, supercharger wheel. Should be able to get another +1 mph and a reliable engine for $500 to $600.

3) An external intercooler would be the next step. Prices vary, but many great things are said about the cheaper one, the XS, and I'm currently working with member JFrizzle on getting a complete setup for my boat. +2 mph for around $500.

4) You'll need 42lb injectors with the ext IC and high boost SC wheel. $200 for the online store.

5) You'll need a strainer for the external intercooler, $50 from the online store. Zero mph gain, but keeps your intercooler from losing efficiency and slowing you down.

6) You'll need a new prop to take advantage of all your new found power. A Solas Concord 14/19 will be about right, or maybe even a 15/20, with a little pitch taken out of the trailing edge. +1 or +2 for about $250.

Considering BRP's change to the '08 lineup (skis) was to add a metal washers, high boost SC wheel, and an external intercooler, says alot to me about the realiablity of this setup.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    I agree with VX1, after installing a 4" intake and a green wheel my 180 is a way nicer boat now, since I wasnt happy with it before. A new prop and SS liner should help (next year), but it can still feel small in the rough stuff, the 150 would be rougher I think and even though the 180 handles like shit with 8 in it, IT SEATS 8!!!

Thread Information