need help wont start

my questions are on a 98 gp1200 I bought it about 3 months ago and am yet to hear it start, so far I have replaced: stator, ignition coils, cdi, throttle cable, steering cable, and now I have a new battery, + and - cables and starter. my friend that was doing all the work for FREE is now in brazil for a while so I'm gonna finish the job. my question is judging by what has already been replaced once I have the rest finished if it doesnt start what would be your opinion on what to do next???

what is it doing? Does the starter make any noise? Do the guages come to life?

+1
    Why did you buy a ski that didnt start was it cheap?
    It sounds like its in pieces and your reasembling it.
    Remove the plug's and install the plugs in the plug wire's.
    Crank over the ski and see if they spark.

If you have a spark at all 3 plugs and the plugs look good put them back in.
    You also need fuel can you smell fuel when you crank it over.
    If you dont smell fuel you can add a little through the airbox might just need the fuel circuit primed.
    If you have fuel and spark it should run.
    If it was me I would pull the carbs and rebuild them before I ride it even if it starts when you prime the carbs.
    I lost a motor on my 99 GP when I bought it after 1 tank of gas because the carbs needed rebuilt.
    Scott

ya it was pretty cheap should have been cheaper but oh well anyway when I got it there was spark but barely any at all, my friend used to work for the brazilian jet ski race team so I brought it right to him, 1st he pulled off the stator cover and it was a mess so we replaced the stator and all wiring from the stator it all had bad corrosion, then it would still turn but not strong, so he said the ignition coils and cdi were bad, after that it started but only every 7 or 8 times you tried so he said that the starter was going bad and the battery cables had bad corrosion, so now I have those and just need to install them and to be honest with you I have worked on cars and bike my whole life but never on a boat or pwc and really I dont even know were the starter is on this motor, but once I find it it should be pretty smooth from there, as far as gas goes it is fine the carbs are cleaned gas is new filters are new and the way things have been going I'm just trying to prepare for the worst so I can jump right into fixing the next problem if need be.

+1
    If you have all new parts and the carbs have been done you should be good to go
    stock ignition does not give a verry strong spark you need a good battery as well.
    Removing chokes and installing a pimer is worth considering too.

+1
    The starter is below the exhaust pipe. If you trace the battery leads you can actually get your hand on the starter. To change the starter the pipe needs to come off.

+1
    Does not starter will come out with the pipe on.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    If you have all new parts and the carbs have been done you should be good to go
    stock ignition does not give a verry strong spark you need a good battery as well.
    Removing chokes and installing a pimer is worth considering too.
    It already has a primer, no chokes. thanks. I will try to get the starter without removing the exhaust first thanks for the help I will let you know how it goes.

+1
    2 12mm bolts at the rear of the starter 1 holds the negative power wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    2 12mm bolts at the rear of the starter 1 holds the negative power wire.
    kewl thanks, if I have anymore stupid questions I will ask. thanks for learning me

Thread Information