Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Marysville Ohio

HELP... Ok my 900 to 1050 Runs ;-) How much more break in?

I ran the ski for 15-20 minutes at 0 to 1/2 throttle. I then let it sit for almost an hour with the seat off. BTW the outside temp was about 82 degrees. I then ran it again at 0 to 3/4 for another 20 minutes and had to quite for the day. So how much longer do I have. I want to ride it like I stole it but I have well over a grand in the rebuild and I do not want to mess it up. Please help me out guys I only have a few weekends left before the season is over in Ohio

Minneapolis, Mn.
    Below is a post I made at one are right on track with what you should do to break in the engine...just one more time and you should be good to go.

The best proven way to break in an engine for a long lifetime is the following...

Make sure you use the right oil and have the right gas oil mixture 40:1 if you have a two-stroke...I would use this in my first tank at least if not also the second. As for break-in, from the best reports that I have read and my personal opinion based on knowing people in the Polaris design for the watercraft division, the best thing to do is to ride your jetski for only 15-20 minutes at a time for the first three times you use it. Be sure that the engine gets to cool off completely between the first three rides. On the first ride, do not go over 1/2 throttle, the second ride go only 3/4 throttle and on the third ride go full throttle a couple times but only for about 10-15 seconds. Also, vary your throttle speed as much as possible as you ride. What this all does is get all the engine components up to operating temperatures and then allows them to cool down, it conditions the metal parts due to the expansion and contraction due to the temp changes. This will break-in your jetski for a long life. After that, balls to the wall and have fun!

For my own peice of mind,I'd check the plugs(preferably known good used plugs) at different speeds,to make sure not running too lean.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Marysville Ohio
    Checked the plugs they were a dark tan.

Thread Information