Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PWC Repair services

Guys need some advice, tips and tricks of the trade. After doing some thinking and playing around with numbers, I am going to try and open up my own PWC repair service. I am in Western NC, which doesnt seem to have but maybe 1 or 2 repair centers for the entire western portion of the state, so I think I may have a pretty good market here.

Anyways, looking for some advice and some info to get into the business. Any help/info would be great.

I need to get an idea of how much other places charge for services and labor if it is based on an hourly rate.

Also, if anyone has any info of any companies I can get acquainted with for parts and wholesale pricing, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

BarefootPolaris

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    All the smaller shops I know mainly use Parts Unlimited.With most companys,You'll have to have you business papers and have them set-up a credit line. When I had my marine repair business,the killer was the Liability Insurance.The "Completed Operations" insurance part of it was insane.(Incase something happens after you worked on a boat)When you call for a quote,they ask "How many million a year in business do you do"? The thing with business is if your sued,your guilty till you prove it's not your fault.Civil vs Criminal. You should talk with a lawyer first. Good Luck

Thanks man, that is a good start. I am looking at doing this more as a side business then just a full scale operation. Is there anyway of getting around the insurance? I mean, is that something really necessary for someone who will worl on maybe 10 boats a season?

BarefootPolaris

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    If your doing it at home sorta and only PWC's you really don't have the libility like when I worked on 30' and bigger boats. With the Cabin crusiers,If I put in a compass with 2 screws without any wiring. Then up to 7 years later the jack owner changed his own fuel filter and got a leak then blew his boat up I would have been sued.Plus in a marina a burning boat normally takes out others with it. With the PWC's I think the common would be someone sues you because they think you F'd a job up.Which mostly would settle for the cost paid refunded.Worst someone get killed on one and the family claim it was faulty workmanship. If you Incorporate the business, your personal property would be protected. Only the business could be touch.
    I was in "Sue" Happy Michigan,You in N.C. Go for it.

Thanks man. Any thoughts on pricing? I was thinking $20/hour with 3 hour minimum? Sound about right?

Also, you have any connections with some parts places that can get me on board with parts?

Thanks!

BarefootPolaris

+1
    You'll find you can charge much more than $20/ hr!

Most shops in my area are 60-90/hr. And alot of them will magically multiply the hours of labor actually worked. So actually it can end up costing well over 100/hr.

I generally do side work for around $50/hr. And in no way is it set in stone! The best part of doing this kind of work. If it's something you really dont wanna do, quote it high, you will either not have to do it, or make alot of cash.

I'm also going to be checking into the whole "legalities" of it all as I'm thinkin of startin my own as well.

As of now, I don't advertise it at all, the only work I will do is if someone I know wants work done, or someone I know sends someone my way. If they seem sketchy......I pass. Otherwise I explain that I don't "need" to fix their machine, and I always bring up the liability thing with them. If they say, oh i'm not worried about it, cool, have them sign that.

Otherwise......cash pay't only has no paper trail

The whole liability thing does always come to mind, one simple quick fix for someone could lead you to a world of $hit with some of the people in this world!!

Wow, I guess I just never realized that becuase I never take my ski anywhere to get serviced. I have always dont my own repairs and service. I am pretty good with working on the older machines, but any thoughts on the newer ones? I havent worked on much newer than 2000.

Because of the limited space at my house, I am thinking of only accepting 2 or 3 skiis at a time. The guy in the next county over, who also runs a PWC repair service out of his house, has between 20 and 30 skiis at a time. The last time I heard, he had a waiting list that was 2 to 3 months back logged. Thats pretty impressive and tells me the market in this area is booming for another repair center. If I can service 10 to 20 skiis a season, I will be happy.

Maybe if this gets gong enough, I will branch off to the ATV repairs in the off season.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys. Keep it rolling!

BarefootPolaris

dude man.................incorporate your business................

that way you keep your personal assets/life apart from your business........

incorporating a business give's the business an identity in itself.............

any legal/liabilities...................stays with barefootpolaris inc.......

Nice.... BarefootPolaris Inc. has a nice ring to it.

I have never Incoporated a business before. I understand the logistics and purpose of it, but how hard and how expensive is it to go through?

BarefootPolaris

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Without an official business, you won't be able to get a tax id no. and without that i doubt you'll be able to set up accounts with parts suppliers for dealer prices. downside is taxes.

Look into insurance

Charge enough to MAKE A PROFIT. profit is money after all the bills and salary's are paid.

realize that you probably will never see your ski until the season is over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information