What I did today........

Have been deciding what to do to my boat. I have done a ton of cosmetic things and it is still the best looking boat I have seen. Got a PPK and R&D Ride Plate. So I called Jim the other night and decided that in the near future to send my plate to him. So in the conversation I told him that I sealed the pump and did the pump plug kit. He mentioned the holes on the bottom of the pump and how they work to relieve pressure. I dont plan on doing a tunnel reinforcement kit so I became paranoid. I decided today to remove the pump and take out the plug pieces where those holes are. Well................it took 4 hours and i have a lot of time ahead scraping off the silicone. It was rediculous trying to get that thing off. In a fit of rage I took off the plate and packaged it up to send to jim. Ordered a new pump cause I destroyed it and the rive pump plug kit. I am only going to use the pieces to fill the voids that dont have holes and not seal the pump - gotta be better than stock but now I dont have to worry about the tunnel cracking. Also ordered a 800 and a 1200/1300 Pro-tec intake grate so I have both and a R&D steering nozzle. So that will be my new set up for this year and next. I dont plan on any motor or pump mods. I know with jims plate, stering nozzle, grate and partial plug kit I will be at 70 which is all I was looking for. Anyone ever try and take the pump off after coating it in silicone? Not fun!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
    I dont plan on doing a tunnel reinforcement kit so I became paranoid. - gotta be better than stock but now I dont have to worry about the tunnel cracking.
    You need to reinforce that tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    You need to reinforce that tunnel.
    Even without engine mods or a full PPK?

+1
    Billy is 100% right.Sounds like you will be modding it anyway in the future right?.I would do the reinforcment for piece of mind.Thats my opinion,especially if you predict speeds of 70+The Protec grate will also scrub some speed vs. the R&D/Riva. I know a couple boats that have had pump shoes pull at the 70+ mph mark.
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 09-01-2007 at 08:29 PM.

+1

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    I would do the reinforcment for piece of mind.Thats my opinion,especially if you predict speeds of 70+The Protec grate will also scrub some speed vs. the R&D/Riva. I know a couple boats that have had pump shoes pull at the 70+ mph mark.
    yup...ditto on dat.

Factoids:
    * The pump tunnel can break on a stock ski.
    * Pump tunnels have been known to break on a stock ski.
    * If you plan to do any mods that will increase speed, the tunnel needs to be reinforced.
    * It is a peice of mind.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    On the intake grate you are better of with the R&D over the pro tec, Water woody is correct you will lose speed with the pro tec grate.

Would it really be that much better than an R&D. I had pro-tec on my 800 and loved it.

Thread Information