Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    All I Want......Is All You Got! Fateracing's Avatar

I heard a good one today

I heard a good one today. A friend of mine told me his stock (minor self, intake/air mods) Ultra250x will do 69.5 mph in smooth water, and will run 71+ mph in rough water (2-3 ft chop). We are going to find out tomarrow.
    He is a Kawi guy who bleeds green and is definitely not new to watercraft.
    However, I have a feeling there will be something wrong with is ski tomarrow. As he will be in the company of a couple of Seadoo guys.

Not trying to start anything but he is so adamant that his Ultra actually produces greater top speed in rough/choppy water.

make sure the GPS has fresh batteries

Don't forget the plates and a pie cutter. It will make serving up the humble pie a little easier to the Kawi.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 09-01-2007 at 10:27 PM.

+1
    250's actually do run faster in rough water. When they run.
    Do him a favor...

1. Tell him to check his oil for fuel intrusion.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37180

2. Tell him about the recall:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35553

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    250's actually do run faster in rough water. When they run.
    Well, they run faster in the chop than most (any) other skis. But they do not run faster than in the chop than they do on smooth water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Well, they run faster in the chop than most (any) other skis. But they do not run faster than in the chop than they do on smooth water.
    Actually I think maybe they do. There is something about the hull design that makes them appear to gain a little speed in the chop. Maybe it's an illusion, I'm only telling you what I have seen while racing them on the water and heard from Ultra owners, I'll leave it to the Ultra experts to debate... more opinions from the link below...

"It seems my ski runs quickest when there is very slight ripple/chop in the water..."

"I totally agree with you, Im 350lbs and this red beast with now 15hrs on it has ran 67.7 and 7760-80 R's this was in chop with 10mph wind water approx 80deg, When I did run in little to NO chop it was slower!"

"Just about any type planning hull boat will run quicker when there is a slight chop on the waters surface. When the water is glass calm, the hull has difficulty freeing itself from the surface tension. The chop breaks the tension and lets the boat ride higher and more free. Choppy water lets air get under the hull. The hull is no longer glued to the water..."

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30329

+1
    Well, I guess we have to define "chop." To me. "chop" is rough water. No ski runs better in rough water than it does on "relatively" smooth water. My experience (with all skis I have owned) is that you get your best speeds with a little bit of bounce. I have been told that this is because you break the "hold" the water has on the hull when it is perfectly planted in the water. I am no hydrodynamics expert, but as I said, my GPS reads faster when I hop a bit. But hopping a bit is not what I call chop.

+1
    Well, I guess we have to define "chop." To me. "chop" is rough water. No ski runs better in rough water than it does on "relatively" smooth water. My experience (with all skis I have owned) is that you get your best speeds with a little bit of bounce. I have been told that this is because you break the "hold" the water has on the hull when it is perfectly planted in the water. I am no hydrodynamics expert, but as I said, my GPS reads faster when I hop a bit. But hopping a bit is not what I call chop.
    Geez, spoken just like an attorney...
    "And by the way, yes, I am a lawyer (who happens to actually practice in the above-referenced areas of law). And unlike yours, my bio actually shows up on Martindale-Hubbell."

All I Want......Is All You Got! Fateracing's Avatar
    I do agree that you get get your best speeds with a little ripple in the water rather than being flat and calm. But he claims his ski will actually do 71+ in Rough choppy water.
    I agree with Franko I can't see his numbers increasing beyond his top speed with a light chop.

He is aware of the fuel contaminating the oil (I smelled it myself) and had the recall done sometime back.

+1
    I think his ski will be faster in the chop.
    I think it will break 70 in his dreams.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 09-02-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Yes, to me chop is waves 1~4ft., at least. Anything under 1ft. is relatively smooth. I find it very hard to believe that a 250X is going to see it's best speed in what I believe is chop. Those of you that think a ripple or waves less than 1ft. is chop....

I will agree though, the 250X will most likely see better speeds in conditions a wee bit rougher than an RXP or GPR because it has more of a deep-V hull. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but Richard (Way2fast) has said this time and time again with offshore race boats. The deep-V hulls don't do so well on calm days, but when the seas get rough they blow everyone else away.

*EDIT: And don't forget that choppy water tends to produce GPS spikes more.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 09-02-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information