+1

Major electrical screw up today what now???

Ok I will be the first to admit I was tired and should have quit, but I had to finish. Anyway I'm instaling my Stage 2 setup, I'm still at the dismantling stage, anyway I'm removing the stock air box and didnt realize I had the fuel sender wires caught on the box. Well I yank it out and hear a snap, it unpluged the harness from the sending unit and pulled about 3" out of the loom. I hook the battery backup and guess what it tels me I have no fuel (its full) and the fuel warning light flashes. It also sends me a error code but I think its because the the boat is kinda stripped down, it shouldnt throw any codes unless I f-up the sending unit? My question is how do I determing where my problem is, ie wiring unit or sending unit?
    Thanks

are you saying that you pull the connector out of the fuel pump? and pulled the connector out of the loom several inches?

if so: look to see if contact pins in fuel pump/float assy are intact and still in unit, then look at connector itself to determine if connector is not damaged, if stiil good, then open up the plastic loom covering, feel fuel pump wiring for stretched insulation, it will feel very soft from broken wires and no wires inside the insulation,
    next: get a Fluke tester or continuity tester, make sure battery is dis-connected first, trace that color coded wire to it`s origin, put probes from tester in each end and check for continuity.
    I don`t know the location or pin numbers to better pin point where you should perform test, maybe others here can give exact location of the other end of the fuel pump wires.
    but, if you stretched the crap out of the wiring, damage should be visible...PR...

+1
    Thats kinda what I was thinking but I thought there might be another plug that I was missing or not seeing. The plug into the tank looks fine. Could this also be whats giving me the check engine and PO231 code?

+1
    i have a list of ALL the codes and P0231 "FUEL PUMP SHORTED TO GROUND OR OPEN CIRCUIT" i would say u have BROKE the ground connection myself but im still im this mornings COMA from last night so dont trust me!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    i have a list of ALL the codes and P0231 "FUEL PUMP SHORTED TO GROUND OR OPEN CIRCUIT" i would say u have BROKE the ground connection myself but im still im this mornings COMA from last night so dont trust me!!!!!!!!!!!
    that would make sense if the wires are broken inside the insulation.

here is a tech trick, but not for the meek!

get 2 garment pins, small ones, and pierce the affected wires where they are known to be good, put fluke meter or test meter one one pin and other in connector at end of wire and check for continuity, do same with other wire, then you could repair wires by cutting old/damaged ones out and adding new wire provided connector itself is still good, if not you could order OEM connector and pins to fix it...PR...

+1
    Ok here is what I found the pink wire is pushed out of the male end of the connector so I pushed it back in only to notice 3 of the pins on the tank side of the connector are bent in. Hopefully nothing shorted out and I dont have any blown fuses. I should have checked it before I tried to reconnect the plug as it would have been a hulluva lot easier than, than it will be now. Lets hope its this simple and not a broken wire .
    Mike

Thread Information