Hull filling up with water?

I just picked up two 1993 XVR 650s for the holiday weekend. The skis ran great at the lake yesterday...but one ski kept taking on water into the hull requiring me to use the bilge pump to keep her afloat. The water was warm when it was pumped out. The water only entered when the ski was moving. When sitting still no water entered the hull? Any ideas on how/why/or where the water would be coming from?

These are the first skis I've ever owned..so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    well, I had the same problem you are having. It took me some time, and alot of posting pictures and sending them to people.. but i found it. If you can please post picture of your engine.

What happened with mine, is that I had Both of my exhaust motor mounts completely off, and a washer missing. So then it would shake my entire exhaust very much, and made a hoseclamp come off between 2 exhaust pieces. This area was the bilge bypass, and when the hose clamp came off, water came in... and filled up. So then when mine was running, it would fill up because im getting that pressure/water movement in my engine.. and when i stopped it just sat there.

I would be driving at 65, and then drop to like 20. the engine would be steaming, and the water is hot. So its touching the engine.

I will post pictures showing where my mounts came off, but it will be easier to show you whats going on if you send pictures of your skis engine.

+1
    see the pink circle, and that there are no bolts there... that is the mount that made my engine shake... and ill post another picture of the hose clamp that came off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k 025.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	37190  

+1
    and this pink circle... thats the hose clamp that came off, and would back up let water into my hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k 027.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	37192  

check to see if its exhaust related issue, sounds like it just might be as your waterleak as it as warm....

next check your head gasket...

also check your intermediate shaft where it bolts to the bulkhead, inside, in-front of the pump ... your foam seal ring may have gone bad ... on an older ski this seal will start to go bad ..water may just have been warm from it sloshing onto a hot engine
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 09-02-2007 at 11:28 PM.

+1
    Just to verify..... make sure that the hull is free of water.

Strap the boat down on the trailer completely so that it will not move at all and put your boat in the water. Wait for 5 minutes for any water to appear. You have to move this from the "water in the hull" equasion first.

If no water after 5 minutes. crank up the boat and let it idle on the trailer in the water for a couple of minutes. Inspect each hose.

Still no leak? While your deck lid is up (and ear plugs on) throttle the engine to about 3/4 speed, putting a load on the engine. While you are doing this, inspect all hoses for loose clamps or torn, worn out hose at the connections. Grab each hose as the engine is revved and wiggle them (simulates a moving boat in rough water). Remember that these hoses are more than likely old and may have cut themselves or rubbed a hole through them through the years.

Hope this helps

+1
    if you have the attachment, so that you can just hook your hose to your ski... you can do that to.. might aswell and just see if its already leaking that quick.

Thread Information