sl 900 battery voltage question..

I've read that the CDI box in these is real sensitive to battery voltage. Can anybody elaborate? I have a 96, just rebuilt, with only 46 actual hrs on it, that I just got fired back up. Motor fired up just fine with a fully charged batt, but after some tinkering, & fine tuning, I had drained the batt down to around 12 volts. At first I thought I had fouled the plugs, so I changed those, checked spark & tried to refire, but NOTHING! I charged the batt all the way up, & BINGO! back in buisiness! Are there gremlins with this model I should know about? Normally being a Yamaha guy, I'm just starting to get intimate with this Polaris thing... Thanks in advance!

+1
    I'm not sure about the early models but I know the later models require at least 10.7 volts while cranking. When did you take your reading? Keep the volt meter on while cranking and see what it reads...let us know.

O.k., I'll run that check... Also, any advantage to running the BR6, to the BR7's plugs? Or what does the craft like the best? Old owner had 9's in it...

+1
    Should be running BPR8ES NGK spark plugs...at least that is what came on it stock.

owners manual shows 7's, & Champion book shows 6's for most Polaris craft. I suppose 8's or 7's will do well. Any big time issues with the oil pump? I'm thinking of disconnecting it, & running pre-mix 40:1.. Too lean?

+1
    What you run makes a big difference....the lower the number the hotter the plug, the hotter the engine gets. Always try to run the coolest plug you can...thus I would use the eights and see how it works. The oil pumps are rarely a problem...but going to pre-mix doesn't hurt anything...you know for sure you are getting oil. Only draw back is you need to bring/carry oil with you if you are going to be out riding all day long. Trying to measure the right ratio while filling up on the water can be a pain...but I guees it beats a fried engine!

Thread Information