Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Is my starter bad?

Hi all, maybe someone can identify my problem, or give me some tips on what to check. My '92 SL560/750 wouldn't start today, after a 1/2 hour run up the lake. It was running just fine when I stopped to pick up lunch at the deli.

All I get is a "click" sound out of the e-box. No turning of the starter at all. The reset button is not tripped. The engine turns over by hand just fine. Battery is good, I used a starter pack to test.

I opened the e-box and checked voltage out of the solenoid, it's showing 13 volts when the starter button is pushed, and the wire to the starter is not heating up, its stone cold.

On the plus side, I haven't seen my 1 hour shutdown in a month! Last thing I did was swap out the cheesy little inline fuel filter from my jetski dealer for a half-redbull sized filter from Autozone. Hopefully I've put that problem behind me.......

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you bypassed the solenoid to see if the starter turns with 12V directly applied to it?

+1
    Yeah, forgot to mention that. Took a screwdriver, straight across the terminals, nothing, no spark, no wires heating up, or anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Yeah, forgot to mention that. Took a screwdriver, straight across the terminals, nothing, no spark, no wires heating up, or anything.
    sounds like you need a tarter.

make sure your cable is good, clean, and tight from the selonoid to the starter. also check your ground. it carries more amps than your + cable.

if all else fails, pull the starter.

sometimes, if you can give it a rap, with a hammer, ( use an extension to get to the starter) and that makes it go, it is done, and you need a new one.

zig

get one from walmart or autozone they are the same looking , glass pill bottle size ,

sounds like your solinoid or starter ,

have you applied just 2 the starter motor via wire ?

+1
    Damn, wish I had remembered that trick at the lake! Whacked it once with a hammer/screwdriver, VROOM! Instead, I sat on the dock for an hour, waiting for my wife to realize she had a message, and then come get me. Then the joy of towing it back.

Thanks, Zig, and everybody for your help! Not sure if I'll buy a new starter over the winter, or just keep a hammer under the hood......

+1
    YOU NEED A STARTER!!!!!

next time, it will let you down in the middle of the lake. i would not trust it. that was more of a test, than a solution.

i have them here if you want one.

zig

if it helps at all i just did the starter on my 96 sl780 and i have never worked on a ski....it wasnt all that bad...took about 2 hours.

did you have to take all the exhaust parts off or can you reach under it to change the starter?

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Technically, you can get to the started without removing the exhaust, but it isn't worth trying. It is more of a pita to do it that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information