Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar

Another 750 Project

Ok, here's the story. For those of you who know, I just recently installed 44's onto my 95 750. I decided this is to be my last upgrade for awhile, so I wanted to get it professionally tuned. I took it to my dealer down in OK. When I got it back, I specifically asked if they took it for a test ride once the work was complete to make sure it was running correctly. I had installed a tiny tach right before I took it to them. It showed 3 minutes when I dropped it off, and exactly 3 minutes when I picked it up. I rode this thing for exactly 56 minutes today, and that was spread out. It never performed exactly how I thought it would, and then.....................

How pissed should I be?? Exactly how should I go from here?? Do I take it back to the dealer or what? I've never had something like this happen before and I am still hot about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head MAG.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	37230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head CEN.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	37235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head PTO.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	37236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head All.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	37237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston MAG.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	37238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston CEN.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	37239  

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston PTO.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	37244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston PTO 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	37245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston ALL.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	37246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiny Tach.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	37247  

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    That just suks,Shoot the basters. Some how I feel your going to have to sue them. I doubt they'll do anything..They have a way of finding reasons that it wasn't their fault. Best of luck Man.

+1
    Im pissed off and its not even my ski....they will try to hang you with the blame..poor gas,improper break in etc.......

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Am I seeing right? A holed CEN piston AND a pitted/busted PTO or MAG? What was the jetting set at on the 44's? They've got to offer some sort of compensation. Although I took my ski to a local mechanic and he installed my crank seals backwards. Yep, air leak. Fortunately I caught that in time.

Before you go in there and get all fired up, take a minute to gather your thoughts. Take in with you everything you can, i.e. papers, cylinder head, everything. Comfront them with a level head and dont threaten anything! Just go in and tell them what you know and what was asked of them. Generally, a dealer will not own up to there mistakes, but if you document everything and confront them appropriately, it will work out better in the end if you need to go to court. See what they are willing to do, and if that doesnt work, call around and find you a good attorney. They can start out by writing the company a letter suggesting a settlement, and then of course, they can always get the ball rolling with a law suit.

Good luck with it man. This stuff happens to good people everyday. (Happened to my family 4 years ago with a $80K motorhome!)...

BarefootPolaris

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Am I seeing right? A holed CEN piston AND a pitted/busted PTO or MAG? What was the jetting set at on the 44's? They've got to offer some sort of compensation. Although I took my ski to a local mechanic and he installed my crank seals backwards. Yep, air leak. Fortunately I caught that in time.
    That is a definate Yes to the CEN being holed. As for the PTO the damage to the head was a prior issue. The head had been repaired by OP and deemed safe. It just had (what I assume to be detonation) and blew the head gasket. The dealer said that he didn't even have to change jetting, so they should still be 785 Pro stock jetting.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Basically this would have happened anyway, because the dealer never even worked on your ski. They just took your money. I'd loose that ocean pro head for good. I heard they help add to the detonation problems because of the spiral thing in the domes and they may not seat flat because the height of your cylinders could vary slightly and that's not a problem with individual heads.

It is true that they do tend to detonate. But with the cooler plugs, and higher octane gas, I have never had a problem with it. Plus, the gains are definately worth it. Never had a problem with it sealing either.

As for it happening anyway, probably not to this extent. I had JUST installed the new carbs. I would never ridden it if I had know they never touched it. I would have tuned them and then no probs. I was just wanting a "Professional" tune job, not just me half assing it. Just goes to show, that you need to keep a close eye on things, even coming back from the dealer.

As an upside, mine being down gave me the chance to tune the SL 750 that we had just sitting around for about 5 months. It was my first time to ride and SL hull. All I can say is AWESOME!!!
    Last edited by jonjonwells; 09-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Jonjon something tells me you already know more than the so called professionals at the dealership. Group K or Sharps can get you the same gains with machined stock heads if you want to save some money. I bought one of those OP heads off ebay and resold it cause I was scared to use it.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information