Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Breakin results & oil

I know a few forum members are pretty opinionated on what type of oil to use during breakin. Its probably not a bad idea to use a non synthetic for the first 2 tanks accelerating the ring to bore wear pattern.

But, being the stubborn bullheaded person that I am I used Amzoil dominator at 32-1 for the first tank and the standard 40-1 for the second. Mixture screws backed out a half turn and throttle adjusted to a little over halfway opening to save myself from running it wide open. After the first tank the compression had stablized and dead even accross the board. After the second tank the c ompression had raised slightly but exactly where it was before MB with 20 hrs on it.

Pistons and rings are OEM 1300 with a fresh nick and hone from millineum as before.

Just a little data for everyone and not meant to start arguments please.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Oh no the sky is falling, you used synthetic for break in.

You better send me your top end now so I can break it in right. As soon as it is broke in, will send it right back.... better than new, fully broke...... in.

allcool

+1

On my personal experience, I too also used Amsoil @32:1 on the original rebuild back in 2002 and Amsoil Interceptor @32:1 on the top end re-ring a year and a half ago on my 100 hour inspection.
    funny you mention, I also noticed a slight (1-2 lbs) compression increase on the re-ring after the first tank. I didn't pay attention to it on the original rebuild years ago....but did notice it as I am more observant now over the years.
    And I also run 40:1 all the time.

thanks for sharing Duke.

+1
    I have always used the same sytnetic oil at the same ratio 40:1 for breakin as regular riding. Amsoil Interceptor. When I assemble an eninge I assemble it dripping wet with Torco assembly lube. I will run the first tank of gas with the mixture screws about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn extra. I run it 30 minutes then let it cool down completely, then 30 more minutes let it cool down completely. Then just ride around varying the throttle for the rest of that tank of gas. After that she's good to go.

When you add more oil you actually lean your mixture and the engine runs a little hotter. I just wanted to add this tidbit for the new folks.

So Duke, do you have it all back to pre Mudbug status? I hope it runs better than ever.
    Last edited by spud; 09-03-2007 at 10:05 AM.

+1
    I figured the fuel mixture would be a little leaner which is why I back the screws out 1/2 turn. Its always been reccomended by Yami to add oil so I am just blindly doing as they suggest not really knowing why. You would think the rings would seat faster at a regular oil/fuel ratio. Maybe it just makes me less nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I have always used the same oil at the same ratio for breakin as regular riding. Amsoil Interceptor. When I assemble an eninge I assemble it dripping wet with Torco assembly lube. I will run the first tank of gas with the mixture screws about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn extra. I run it 30 minutes then let it cool down completely, then 30 more minutes let it cool down completely. Then just ride around varying the throttle for the rest of that tank of gas. After that she's good to go.

When you add more oil you actually lean your mixture and the engine runs a little hotter. I just wanted to add this tidbit for the new folks.

Glad you're back on the water.

+1
    glad to hear yur getting back to normal again bruh

+1
    Way to go Duke

+1
    Thanks guys! Have to admit its fun having the whole fleet running so everyone can go.

Ported boat sure feels good. Even at 1/2 throttle its faster then the 1200.

+1
    Can't wait to see how she does. Keep us posted. I should be breaking my 1390 in next weekend. Provided I have carbs. Breakin will be with the stock ignition and 14/24. Once I give her the go ahead the Advent and 15/25 go in.

Its exciting building a ski up and getting everything going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information