Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pushing 70!!

Talking Pushing 70!!

Finally got some decent test results today. The weather was typical for Florida, 90 degree air; 85 degree water and 70% humidity. Too dang many boaters out today - it was hard to find good water.

Anyway, I've started to work on the wifes Ultra. The last two weeks of testing has been RPMs only - no GPS. Today I gave her the GPS and let her take a couple of runs - the fastest was a 69.7 and 69.8. The RPMs were running right at 7780.

So far, the only "purchased" parts are (less than $200):

R&D PPK and Cool Air Kit
    R-Rated Value Cover Block offs
    LX Wedge

The ski just hit 55 hours. I've done several oil changes, and now am running Mobil 1 synthetic. At first, I had gas in the oil and air intake tube like several others have reported. The blow by problem is getting much better, with almost no gas in the drain tube, and just a hint in the oil. This hasn't been a problem for me anyway, as I would have changed the oil several times either way. When my wife asked me why some many oil changes as compared to her car, I replied that we run the skis basically with an on-off switch. We're either sitting or full bore - not much in between. Hell, I expect some blow-by under these conditions. And no, the bottom ring isn't bowing because of SC pressure (cause if it was we would all be looking for pieces of our blown apart top ring).

My goal this season has been to get my GPR single pipe to 75 and the Ultra to 70. Looks like I need some new goals

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	37342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toast.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	37343  

+1
    Congrats?

Do you ride the st johns? I ride south of palatka to silver glenn area all the time.
    Last edited by spaulding; 09-03-2007 at 05:22 PM.

hey nice numbers gator. i went out to the lake today here in central florida i just got a gps i wanted to try all i got was 64.5 my ski is stock exept for the pump wedge.

( Had to go RXT.....Baby) Ultra Junkie's Avatar

Nice numbers.....

Congrats on the numbers Gator - they look good.....

+1
    Gator man,
    Those are great numbers. Congratulations.... Seems like it costs more money to make a red one go faster than a blue one I guess Harry was right. The blue ones are faster You are right about the R&D filter making the ski louder. I drilled the access cover the filter replaces and you can hear the air sucking in around the handlebars at idle.
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Gator man,
    Those are great numbers. Congratulations.... Seems like it costs more money to make a red one go faster than a blue one I guess Harry was right. The blue ones are faster You are right about the R&D filter making the ski louder. I drilled the access cover the filter replaces and you can hear the air sucking in around the handlebars at idle.
    Jimmy
    Jimmy,

Thanks man! I've been following your progress (way to go breaking 70 ) - and now I'm ready to do some more playing with the Ultra. I'm hoping to see the magic seven oh stay steady on the GPS this weekend.

Quick question, how are you liking the BOV block off plate - I'm thinking about ordering one.

It's more fun 'runnin the Ultra than complaining 'bout them...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorcountry View Post
    Jimmy,

Thanks man! I've been following your progress (way to go breaking 70 ) - and now I'm ready to do some more playing with the Ultra. I'm hoping to see the magic seven oh stay steady on the GPS this weekend.

Quick question, how are you liking the BOV block off plate - I'm thinking about ordering one.

It's more fun 'runnin the Ultra than complaining 'bout them...
    I hear ya. It sucks that people are having the problems they are. But I'd much rather read a post about a speed tip or someone running fast than all the other stuff. I'm lucky and have not had any problems at all. It took a few more tweaks after I installed the Riva ride plate to run consistantly above 70. So far as blocking off the bov, I can't say if it made any diff but I don't think it hurt! If you remove the BOV and block it off, be sure to check your relief valve and the vaccum hose that runs to it before every ride. Some have posted (and they are correct) that it's risky to block off the bov. All you have between you and overboost is the relief valve. That's why I say check the vaccum line to the relief valve fequently. One other tip. These skis LOVE fresh air. Any way you can get more into the front of the ski the better it will run.
    Jimmy

just wondering..what is the proper way of checking the relief valve to see if it is functioning properly?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScooter View Post
    just wondering..what is the proper way of checking the relief valve to see if it is functioning properly?
    You can hear it blowing off at idle. But that's ony when you have a filter on it and not the stock hose running to the intake. You can pull the hose off the valve that runs to the intake (the front plastic intake) and feel it blowing off. Someone else could probably answer your question better than myself but it operates off of manifold vacuum. That's why it's important to check the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the relief valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    You can hear it blowing off at idle. But that's ony when you have a filter on it and not the stock hose running to the intake. You can pull the hose off the valve that runs to the intake (the front plastic intake) and feel it blowing off. Someone else could probably answer your question better than myself but it operates off of manifold vacuum. That's why it's important to check the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the relief valve.
    Yep - you can hear it blow off with the filter on it. When I first got the ski both ends of the vacuum line were barely put on, so I tie wrapped each end. Now I check it after each ride. It pays to go around and make sure ALL connections are nice and tight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information